Michael T asked in SportsMartial Arts · 3 years ago

Which samurai sword is best for home defense?

I am a 20 year old male I don't like guns I need a sword for occasional home invasions, I don't want to chop someone unless I have to, just scare them and get the word out, I live in a bad neighborhood, nothing too expensive, brand name sword is ok

• Steel
    Favorite Answer

If you're hellbent on using some sort of blade for "home defense", just go to Walmart and buy a machete.

I would use a Shinai, & I wear my Kendo Breast Plate if I ever had to deal with that kind of Situation !

• Bon

None, And you are not making any sense. If you don't want to "chop someone", then why do you care what swords are best?

You need to do some serious growing up. Just because you don't like guns, what makes you think someone who breaks into your home won't have one, especially since you plan to tell everyone that you have a sword which practically guarantees whoever does break in with be armed? Last time I checked, criminals don't ask a homeowner if it's okay or not to use a gun to rob the house. And what are you going to do if they are not scared by your sword? Even if you could scare off that 2 out of 3 home invasions, what are you going to do when that 1 case where he or they are not scared?

Occasional home invasion? Seriously?

I would think that to thugs a gun would look much scarier than a long knife especially since they most likely will have guns. Guns have a much longer range than your sword will ever have even if you had a Claymore. Thinking that they would let you come close enough so you could slash them before they will start shooting you is probably not the right idea of self defense. Never brandish a weapon thinking you can scare off someone. When your weapon is out your intent has to be to use it which means you have to be within range of using it and it is out because you are going to use it not to scare someone.

For as many home invasions you claim in your neighborhood you seem to be dangerously misinformed. I think you should first take some good self defense classes and then choose your weapon based on good information, not on something you may think could work or worse you have seen it work in a movie.

Any edged weapon is as good as the next in a self defense situation especially if you are skilled with it. This is not feudal Japan with a codified fighting system and a machete for that purpose will do just fine. Ask any Brazillian.

Your saying that you don't like guns, why would a sword be any different than a gun, both can kill a person, so why not get a gun instead?

• DeAnne

Gun is better. Guns kill, swords just slash.

I have a friend who has taught knife defense to law enforcement officers. He tells me that 90% of the guys you see carrying knives for "self defense" are basically telling the world "here, please kill me with this."

It is far more important to focus on training than equipment. There are blade-specific systems, but you will find that most focus on building a firm foundation of martial arts skills first. Having these skills (and the awareness that goes with them) will allow you to feel secure within yourself, rather than lean on the false security given by a piece of metal.

For example, someone trained to use a "samurai sword" properly could also do considerable damage with a broom handle, a pool stick or other common household item without the expense or potential legal issues.

I suggest you take the money you were going to spend on a sword and research martial arts programs in your area. If you insist on blade training, look up key words like "Silat," "Kali" or "Eskrima." I would avoid slick-looking schools that advertise "ninja skills"....many true practitioners would consider that insulting or offensive.

Keep an eye out for the word "system." Schools that claim they can teach you everything you need to know in a few 60-minute sessions are just out for your money. Systems are actual, codified teaching methods that have stood the test of time....some going back centuries.

Again, I cannot stress this enough: Focus on learning some basic skills and techniques before asking what type of weapons you should carry. Your most valuable weapon is your mind and body, learn to use them first.

• Vince

Although a samurai sword is a legendary weapon, its not the best choice for home defense. The days of confronting a burglar with a baseball bat or golf club...or even a sword are long gone. Most burglars are packing these days.

• Steel
      3 years agoReport

Sorry... I just had to laugh at "legendary"!