? asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 4 years ago

Makeup starter kit?

I'm new to makeup, so can you list each makeup product and what they're used for? Like does concealer go before or after foundation? Leaving products for oily skin and pores would also be helpful too! I don't really care wether it's drugstore or high end, I just want to be able to have good quality makeup that won't make my skin oily (Don't mentioned CoverGirl, I'm allergic to their makeup).

Favorite Answer

Cleansing, toning and moisturizing the skin first is preferable, as that's what I personally find gives best results

Lip balm is also ideal in order to prevent chapping and help lipstick last longer.

Primer - prepares skin before applying any facial, eye, cheek or lip makeup. Some are specifically made for the eyelids before applying eye makeup. Think of it like you're applying primer to a wall before painting it, so the paint has a longer lasting finish. Essentially so that your face makeup looks flawless, and lasts longer without wearing off.

- Foundation. Provides color and coverage for the entire face and minor imperfections e.g. mild acne or a bit of bruising, some is blended down onto the chin and neck to avoid an unsightly line.

- Concealer. As the name suggests, this is to 'conceal' or hide imperfections which weren't covered by foundation, like under eye circles, bruising, uneven skin tone, blackheads and acne zits.

- Powder, Used to make other makeup products - namely foundation and concealer - set and prevent facial shine.

- Eye shadow. Provides color to the eyelids. Different colors suit different people depending on their iris color. For example. whichever color the iris is also suits the person in eye shadow. People with blue eyes can wear pink, silver and peach while people with brown eyes tend to suit warmer colors like golds. People with green eyes tend to suit tan shades.

- Eyebrow powder. Same as eye shadow but for eyebrows instead of eyelids. Usually used in a color which matches the natural eyebrow color, or possibly a shade darker or lighter.

- Eyeliner. Used to apply a line of color by and sometimes on the waterline of the eyelids, as close to the lash line as possible.

- Mascara. Provides lengthening, thickening and darkening of the eyelashes.

- Blusher. Provides color to the apples of the cheeks.

- Highlighter. Used to create glow on certain areas to make them stand out e.g. the cupid's bow of the lips.

- Bronzer. Used to make the skin look tanned.

- Contour. Used to add definition to areas of the face like under the lower lip

- Lip liner. As the name suggests, lines and defines the lips to prevent lip color from 'bleeding' into the skin surrounding the lips.

- Lipstick. Provides color to and in some instances, protection for the lips, for example some lipsticks have SPF in them, plus chapping and lip cancer is less common in people who wear lipstick.

- Lip gloss. Provides some degree of color, though less than lipstick, and provides shine to the lips.

Hope this helps.

Primer- Not essential, but preps face for makeup.

Foundation- Usually comes before concealer, but I know that some people use concealer before foundation. Just experiment with it a bit and find out what works for you and that you don't cake it on.

I would NOT suggest even thinking about using CoverGirl, Maybelline, Revlon, Rimmel London, or L'Oreal, as they test on animals.

I don't know if you're even concerned if the companies are cruelty-free or not, but some that are are Kat Von D, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Urban Decay (though L'Oreal is its parent company, it is still cruelty-free), Ardell, E.L.F. (which is incredibly cheap!!), Wet N Wild, and EcoTools brushes are cheap, made of bamboo, and use synthetic hair instead of animal hair.

Foundation first, then concealer. Almay is big on having hypoallergenic products, and Neutrogena is good for face stuff. You can find great drug store brand makeup. Just read some reviews and do your research before buying a product.

Skincare (exfoliate, essence, vitamin C serum, moisturizer, sunscreen) - or whatever skincare works for you and your skin. Even the best makeup will not look good over dull skin that's not taken care of.

This is what I use and the order in which I apply everything. There are a lot of ways to put your makeup on, though. Some people put concealer on over foundation, highlight, contour, and bronzer are "extra" and you don't need them all for a fresh, natural look.

Primer - helps the foundation last longer and can either help it look matte or glowy depending on the primer

Concealer - helps hide splotches, undereye circles, or blemishes.

Foundation - evens out your skin and provides a base for the rest of you makeup

Powder - depending on the look you want - can be all over, only on undereye area or t-zone if you're only oily there. Helps set your makeup.

Brows - Use pomade or eyebrow pencil to fill in and shape

Eye shadow

Eye liner

Mascara

Blush

Light contour - use in the hollows of your cheeks, under your lower lip, along side of your nose to add definition

Highlight - can use to create a glow on cheeks, cupids bow

Bronzer - use where the sun hits your face to add color and life

Lipliner - use to define lips

Lipstick

To remove, I use Caroline Hirons' double cleanse method - use an oil cleanser followed by a gently cleansing balm removed with a damp wash cloth. Removes every bit of makeup and leaves my skin soft.

First you have to moisturize your skin then apply the foundation (I recommend Estee Lauder, it has a matte finish and it's pretty good!), next is setting powder, then do your eyebrows (I recommend Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow pomade), then apply eyeshadow, curl your lashes and apply mascara and eyeliner (it's good to tightline your eyes) and then blush and contour, then highlight, and if you want you can apply setting spray so your makeup would last the entire day. This is the order that I follow when applying makeup but you can change some things up. I learned how to apply makeup just by watching YouTube videos, I highly recommend you to do the same. Good luck! :)

Bare Minerals, Bare Essentials.