Have been on Social Security Disability since 2002. Turning 65 soon. Will my SSD automatically change to regular Social Secuirty?

benefits? Also, will I then be able to work without restrictions that I have on SSD?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

No. It isn't automatically converted to retirement until you've reached full retirement age - which is age 66 not age 65. There will be no change in benefit rate. Your benefits will come from the retirement and survivor trust fund instead of the disability trust fund. You will no longer be subject to medical reviews and, once you are age 66, you can work and earn as much as you like without having to report it as it will have no impact on any benefits due you.

Source(s): I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • Eva

No. Your full retirement age is 66, so it won't change until then. Once you've reached full retirement age there is no earnings limit.

Disability benefits end at full retirement age, 66, but are automatically converted to retirement benefits. ... Because Mary has been collecting Social Security disability benefits on her own earnings record, she isn't able to file a restricted claim for spousal benefits when she turns 66.