Why on movies, debris looks like they are moving slow but it is travelling faster than 17,000mph (wouldn't that be hard to see?)?

Why on movies, debris looks like they are moving slow but it is travelling faster than 17,000mph (wouldn't that be hard to see?)

For example: Gravity (2013)

Now, on washingtonpost.com, they stated that the movie Gravity got some of the actions wrong compared to theory:

"Here’s one very scary thing about space debris that “Gravity” got wrong: Frost says that it can move so fast that astronauts wouldn’t even see it. Holes would just mysteriously appear in the equipment around them."

- https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/1... (5th statement)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary B
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Best Answer

becasue in a mvoei the "camera" is ALSO moving at 17000 MPH.

This how it works in real life, too. The ISS is mvng at 17000 MPOH, and teh Supply Capsulaes are ALSO mving at 17000 MOH, but when theya re next toe ach other the DIFFERENC between then is almost Zero, and when tehya ctuall dock it IS zero

• 3 years ago

I agree with the quote; orbital velocity is more rapid than a bullet from a gun - and it's rare you see bullets.... I'm not sure what others thought of Gravity - but, I thought it was a load of hooey, starting with George Clooney flying around in an MMU (which only has about 45 seconds of thrust, total).

On the other hand - that debris is moving at 17,500 mph with respect to the ground - not necessarily with respect to any orbital vehicles.... But - still - hooey. Lots of hooey in this movie.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.