Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 3 years ago

Zithromax: does it contain any steroids or similar substances?

I've taken zithromax several times. I was talking with a new associate today, who told me the the reason I start to feel better in a few minutes is that Zpak or zithromax contains steroids, which "kick start" the immune system so I heal faster.

I looked online a little, and saw NOTHING to that effect. I just think she has been given some mis-information. Does anyone know if there are steroids in Zpak or Zithromax?

(I wouldn't have ever taken it if I knew it contained them, but I don't think it does.)

Favorite Answer

No there are no steroids in Zithromax. Don't stop taking them this can cause a super infection where the bacteria you're trying to kill actually build up an immunity to the drug. Take all antibiotics until they are gone.

Azithromycin is an antibiotic, not a steroid. Even if it did contain steroids, they have the opposite effect on the immune system than your friend claims - steroids suppress the immune system.

Zithromax (azithromycin) is a "broad-spectrum" antibiotic, not a steroid. Broad spectrum means that it is active against a wide number of bacteria species. It "works" because it is a broad spectrum antibiotic.