Divide Syria in half?

Do you think a good solution to the Syrian war is to divide the countriy in half after getting rid of ISIS? With the Russian backed Syrian government on one side (West Syria) and the American supported Rojavas on the other(East Side)?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • GI
    Lv 4
    3 years ago
    Best Answer

I wouldn’t divide it exactly in half, but it does need to be partitioned.

Assad has the support of the Shiite Alawites in the mountainous coastal region, and Russia wants to keep their Mediterranean seaports Tartus and Latakia to prevent having to transit the Bosphorus into the Black Sea. A settlement would probably involve him keeping that part while relinquishing power over the others.

Here’s my genius idea: Solve the Palestinian problem with Israel by giving them a Palestinian state with semi-autonomy as a protectorate under Jordan. I’m thinking Damascus to Raqqah along the Jordanian border. Craft some kind of arrangement with Sunni Arabs.

Then I’d give Kurds a big swathe in the north. Together with the semi-autonomous region in Iraq they’d have somewhat of a state. Incidentally, Kurds are the biggest ethnic group on earth without a state of their own. The Turks would go ape, but their trendline under Erdogan is bad. Turkey will be an Islamic dictatorship within ten years. They’re a NATO member but have done ZERO combatting Islamic extremism. Conversely, they’re turning into extremists themselves. The Kurds are mostly hanafist sunni. They drink, listen to music – very reasonable people, especially in that neighborhood.

• Flower
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

They have not gotten rid of ISIS because of interference from the U.S. coalition (Quatar, Saudi) which is helping terrorists, except in Mosul where U.S. has killed hundreds of civilians in the name of destroying ISIS, which moved into Syria.

The U.S. has been funding terrorists they call rebels because those terrorists want to get rid of Assad as well as take over Syria so Israel and U.S. support them.

The Russians have been trying to destroy ISIS for a year and may have succeeded had it not been for American meddling. There are many groups Syrian Army is fighting including Turkey, Kurds, al Nusra, ISIS, and Israel.

Syria does not want to lose any of its territory. Would you? The Russians are helping stabilize the government and therefore the region. You cannot divide Syria, like the Ukraine is divided with American forces in the west and Russian forces in the East.

• GI
      Lv 4
      3 years agoReport

I completely disagree. What you cannot have is a brutal Shiite dictator Assad backed by Iran lording over Sunni Arabs who will not submit to him and who get rich gulf oil backers backing them up. It's a completely unnatural state that will never be at peace.

• TomB
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Oh absolutely because arbitrarily drawing a line on a map has worked out SO well in the past...

N/S Korea, N/S Vietnam, East/West Germany, Israel, Cypress, Pakistan/India...

• GI
      Lv 4
      3 years agoReport

Actually, all those examples did work. The Korea, Vietnam and Germany examples divided homogenous populations by economic model, communist and capitalist, because it's one or the other - the two cannot coexist. Cypress and India divided ethnic groups who refused to be ruled by other ethnic groups.

• 3 years ago

That seems to be the only solution. However, there is no way the Kurds are willingly giving up "their" part of Syria. Israel will obviously be keeping the Golan Heights. Therefore it is more of a parting out than a Cyprus-type division.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Willy nilly partitioning of the middle east by the Europeans is what has led to this mess to begin with

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.