? asked in SportsGolf · 4 years ago

Do you get tired of saying "Nice Shot" to the guys you play golf with?

I really get tired of saying "Nice Shot" or some variation of that expression to the people that I play golf with. I really don't think it means much when you say it 50 or 60 times a round of golf. Of course you have to keep coming up with a different way of saying it too. Sometimes I say "Good Hit" or "Great Drive" or "What a sand shot". It really distracts me from my concentration when I feel obligated to compliment all the other golfers on their game. They do it too, so it evens out in that respect. I think we should just forget about telling each other how good they are and just play the game.

I actually declared before a golf game once to the other three guys that I was not going to say "Nice Shot" or anything similiar after they hit. I encouraged them to do the same for me. Well, you would have thought I stuck a knife in their back. I got little snide remarks all during the play. Of course these people are my friends so I took no offense. Any thoughts on this??

Favorite Answer

I have a thought on this. I read your remarks and I have felt your pain with various people I've played with over the years.

My simple rule is this. I don't BS people, there are VERY FEW truly nice shots in a round of golf. Unless someone hits a really nice shot, I don't say anything.

Another thing on this, if someone tells you nice shot, thank them for it, don't just walk away all proud. If I take the time to tell someone they hit a good shot they darn well better acknowledge the fact that I noticed it and thank me!

Other than that I think it's good etiquette to acknowledge a nice shot, but seriously, unless he steaked it to 3 feet or busted a wicked hooking three wood on the green from 260 yards, I don't say anything.

• L&M

If your group is consistently bombing it straight down the middle of the fairway 300+ yards and dropping those 20 footers for birdies it may get tiring. Since I've been playing with the same golf league for several years we all know each other's game. I save the compliments for their truly exceptional shots, and then I mix it up like Leafsfan said. I'll say awesome drive, great putt, good shot, wow, etc. but only if they are better than their usual. You don't have to complement every shot.

• If you're playing well, just enjoy it. Even in a competitive match if my opponent pipes one 300 yards straight I'll say "nice shot" or "well done"...same if they make a long putt or stiff an approach shot inside of 5 feet.