Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 3 years ago

What is the purpose of socks?

Why do we need to/usually wear socks with shoes? Custom, or purpose?

Favorite Answer

People originally wore socks for sanitation - bathing didn't happen too often. Fast forward in history somewhat and socks were used to cover the tops of feet - material for good shoes wasn't always available so shoes were made with buttons and 'socks' (think leggings) were designed with button holes and would button onto shoes to make them look more sophisticated. About thirty years after this, socks as we know them became more readily available and were worn to protect our feet from dirt and our shoes from our feet!

Nowadays, socks are worn for comfort (think woolly boot socks), style (think cute, sexy knee / thigh high print socks), warmth of feet (think wooly bed socks), security from slipping (with those little slip-resistant dots) foot-support (think sport socks with arch support elastic build in) and still for sanitation (think socks that are far more breathable and with more research and technology going towards designing and creating them) and to protect our feet and shoes! We also wear them so that what can be seen of our legs above the shoes doesn't create a colour or texture clash - although this is more of an issue for the business community - men usually and stockings for women.

Hope that helps.

Fasion custom and some purpose for legs.

To alleviate cold

well for me there to keep my feet warm in the winter and when that's over with I wear nothing on my feet

I seldom wear socks, but socks can keep your feet warm on cold days, and also keep your feet from getting blisters.

For me, socks provide comfort when wearing shoes or sandals. Socks absorb sweat and odor, keeping shoes fresher. Socks keep your feet and ankles warm. Socks keep the toes on one foot from fighting with the toes on the other foot--you really got to keep them separated. Socks have now become a fashion statement. Look how many people are wearing soccer socks with regular shorts now. Nothing is considered weird now.

• John

Tradition.

Hygiene. Nobody wants to get fungal infections from not wearing socks.