Why is golf considered a sport?

It seems to me that it would more appropriately be called an activity. There doesn't seem to be much physical exertion involved. At best the most physical exertion would seem to be the exercise one would get from walking from one tee to the next, but since so many people use golf carts, even that assumption... show more It seems to me that it would more appropriately be called an activity. There doesn't seem to be much physical exertion involved. At best the most physical exertion would seem to be the exercise one would get from walking from one tee to the next, but since so many people use golf carts, even that assumption might be subject to debate. If golf is considered a sport, why wouldn' t more people consider ping-pong as a sport, rather than a game or an activity, since it often involves more physical exertion? Yet, I think more people would be inclined to refer to ping-pong as a game or activity. I can see bowling even being more appropriately referred to as a sport than golf, since it involves more physical exertion to lift and roll a bowling ball than it does to swing a golf club.
2 answers 2