Ian asked in SportsOther - Sports · 3 years ago

Why is golf considered a sport?

It seems to me that it would more appropriately be called an activity. There doesn't seem to be much physical exertion involved. At best the most physical exertion would seem to be the exercise one would get from walking from one tee to the next, but since so many people use golf carts, even that assumption might be subject to debate. If golf is considered a sport, why wouldn' t more people consider ping-pong as a sport, rather than a game or an activity, since it often involves more physical exertion? Yet, I think more people would be inclined to refer to ping-pong as a game or activity. I can see bowling even being more appropriately referred to as a sport than golf, since it involves more physical exertion to lift and roll a bowling ball than it does to swing a golf club.

Favorite Answer

Golf is a sport and I agree that a round of golf should be done by walking the course rather than using a golf cart. Many people that play golf do not participate in any other sports or physical activities; so they should at least walk the golf course.

As to the question of golf being a sport or not - Golf is classified as a sport. From Wikipedia:

"Sports is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors."

"The term "sport" is sometimes extended to encompass all competitive activities, regardless of the level of physical activity. Both games of skill and motor sport exhibit many of the characteristics of physical sports, such as skill, sportsmanship, and at the highest levels, even professional sponsorship associated with physical sports. Air sports, billiards, bridge, chess, motorcycle racing, and powerboating are all recognized as sports by the International Olympic Committee with their world governing bodies represented in the Association of the IOC Recognised International Sports Federations."

Etymology:

"Sports" comes from the old French desport meaning "leisure"

So as you can see, golf would definitely be classified as a sport.

• Leila

I think its the competition side of it that makes it a sport. Ping pong/table tennis is actually considered a sport and there are serious teams. I think casual ping pong that most people play is not considered a sport that same way that a few people kicking a soccer ball around is not a sport. Sports like cricket and baseball can include a fair amount of standing still (especially if you're not too considered with winning so you just wait to see if the ball comes your way). I agree with you that using golf carts makes golf physically very easy and it does really annoy me that huge areas, often in great locations like right by the ocean or where there were forests with many native species, are reserved for golf and yet the people using them are not even getting exercise while the general public (e.g. people who cannot or do not want to pay for golfing but would love to have a nice parkland to walk through) are prohibited from going there.