Job interview with Macy's - Any tips?

I have a job interview next week with Macy's. Super excited! I've never had a job, so this is all new to me.

Any tips you could give me? What should I wear? Should I bring my resume? What kind of questions will I be asked? What kind of questions should I ask?

Any and all tips and advice would be nice.

Thank you! :)

Favorite Answer

Dress for Success the dress code at Macy's is black so either i.e. black pant, white blouse long sleeve and a blazer or cardigan or a two piece matching black suit. Of couse bring your resume, arrive 15 minutes prior to interview, big smile /shake hands. Below are interview experiences/questions shared by people who applied at Macy's. Good Luck!

Sales Associate at Macy's Accepted Offer – Interviewed in Columbus, OH–

Interview Details –ALWAYS be at least 10-15 mins early to any interview). The lady who interviewed me was friendly. greet the interviewer/ shake their hand. She sat me down and begin to explain that she was going to ask me a series of questions. I have never been in retail before but I came well-prepared for the questions.

1. Q: Why Macy's? A: It's a long-standing company with a good reputation. There's a lot of opportunities for upward mobility.Notes: That's all you need. She said that answer was great.

2. Q: Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.A: Well, sometimes people are in a hurry when shopping, so I would tell them it's a very quick process. They would get all of the discounts without presenting a coupon. It's very convenient to check the balance online. There is no need for a receipt when return an item, no matter how long ago it was to purchased.

3. Q: Tell me about a time when someone you worked with did something you knew was wrong, how you handled it, and what was the outcome?Notes: I explained to her a story about my previous job as a hostess at Texas Roadhouse. I told her that after we were finished with our shift we had to sweep the corral before we left to go home. One girl didn't sweep and I notified the manager so she wouldn't do that again. He told her that it wasn't right, and she's swept ever since. (The example doesn't have to be a great important story) 4. Q: Explain to me an example of when you were on a team, what was your role, and what was the outcome? Notes: I explained about my team I was a part of in BPA(Business Professionals of America). There were 4 of us and we had to present a Powerpoint Slideshow to 3 judges. If I didn't complete my part of the powerpoint then that would affect all of us.

5. Q: Were you ever working in an area that was always constantly changing?Notes: I said yes. Then proceeded to tell her about my previous job at Quiznos in a University. We were always getting new subs for the menu. We had to learn how to make every new sub. Also, I was the cashier there too. The student cards would change, and so would the sandwich prices.

6. Q: Tell me how you would greet a customer and assist them.A: I would smile and be polite and ask them how they were doing. and ask them what they were looking for and how I could be a help.

7. Q: If someone came in needing a pair of jeans, what kind of questions would you ask them?

A: I would ask them what kind of brand they were looking for, what style, length (pants, capris, shorts).

8. Q: How would you upscale the jeans into a bigger purchase?A: I would say, Oh you know you need a shirt for those jeans to tie it all-together). I would then proceed to show them some accessories and shoes to go along with it.

9. Q: How would you celebrate a purchase?A: I would tell them to "have a nice day" or "see you tomorrow!". comment on how great that outfit will look on them.Notes: Something to flatter them.

After the questions were over, she asked my availability and what department.. She found a spot in her own department and hired me right on the spot. So, study these and you'll do just fine! Always have a smile on your face, DON'T be late, be as friendly as possible, and don't forget the handshake. And if they say you'll have a second interview, you could maybe send them a Thank You card for their time.

Retail Sales Associate at Macy's Accepted Offer– Reviewed Feb 4, 2013 New

Interview Details –Went online and applied for job, simple yet long from the questionnaire sometimes those can drag on. Received and email the following day offering an interview. So I scheduled and prepared for it. I arrived at the interview and waited for about 15 minutes for the interviewer. He was a nice guy. These are some of the questions he asked:

1. How would you sell a Macy's Credit card?, 2. How would you approach a customer?, 3. How would you help a customer find a pair of jeans,? 4. How would you upscale the jean purchase

5. What would you do if you saw an employee stealing? Not too difficult if you think of answers before hand if you get nervous like I do. Make sure you're avaible on weekends that could be the deal breaker between you and the job.I wore black pants, a black ruffled top, and heels. They like dark colors. Interview Question –Have you ever misread a person?

I be on my suit and tie ****, tie ****, tie

I be on my suit and tie ****, tie ****

Can I show you a few things?

A few things, a few things, little baby 'cause

I be on my suit and tie ****, tie ****

I be on my suit and tie ****, tie ****

Let me show you a few things

Let me show you a few things

Wait a minute, you ready, JT?

I can't wait 'til I get you on the floor, good-looking

Going out so hot, just like an oven

And I'll burn myself, but just had to touch it

It's so fly and it's all mine

Hey baby, we don't mind all the watching, hi

'Cause if they study close, real close, they might learn something

She ain't nothing but a little doozy when she does it

She's so fly (She's so fly) tonight

And as long as I've got my suit and tie

I'ma leave it all on the floor tonight

And you got fixed up to the nines

Let me show you a few things (show you a few things)

All pressed up in black and white

And you're dressed in that dress I like

Love is swinging in the air tonight

Let me show you a few things

Show you a few things, about love

While we’re in the swing of love

Let me show you a few things

Show you a few things, about love, hey

Stop, let me get a good look at it

Ooh so thick, now I know why they call it a fatty

And oh **** so sick got a hit and picked up a habit

That's alright, 'cause you're all mine

Ooh go on and show 'em who you call daddy

I guess they're just mad 'cause girl, they wish they had it

Ooh my killer, my "Thriller" yeah you're a classic

And you're all mine tonight

And as long as I've got my suit and tie

I'ma leave it all on the floor tonight

And you got fixed up to the nines

All pressed up in black and white

And you're dressed in that dress I like

Love is swinging in the air tonight

Let me show you a few things

Show you a few things, about love

While we’re in the swing of love

Let me show you a few things

Show you a few things, about love, hey

Get out ya seat, Hov, uh

All black at the white shows

White shoes at the black shows

Green card for the Cuban linx

Y'all sit back and enjoy the light show

Nothing exceeds like excess

Stoute got gout from having the best of the best, is this what it's all about?

I'm at the rest-aurant with my rent, disturbing the guests

Years of distress, tears on the dress

Try to hide her face with some makeup sex uh

This is truffle season

Tom Ford tuxedos for no reason

All Saints for my angel

Alexander Wang too

***-tight denim and some Dunks

I'll show you how to do this young uh!

No papers, catch vapors

Get high, out Vegas

D'usses on doubles, ain't looking for trouble

You just got good genes so a ***** tryna cuff you

Tell your mother that I love her 'cause I love you

Tell your father we go farther as a couple

They ain't lose a daughter, got a son

I show you how to do this hun!

As long as I've got my suit and tie

I'ma leave it all on the floor tonight

Baby got fixed up to the nines

All pressed up in black and white

And you're dressed in that dress I like

Love is swinging in the air tonight

Let me show you a few things

Show you a few things, about love (love, love)

(Let, let) Let me show you a few things

Show you a few things, about love, hey oh

The dress code for workers under management is all black so you could always dress black blouse or collar shirt with tie black skirt or slacks..

I have never been to a Macy's Interview but have seen Blogs of people expressing how it went.. They will ask what you like about the store. Your favorite products or clothing or house ware items.. They also ask what Macy's magic is to you.. You could share something you really like about shopping at the store.. Put on a cheerful smile they like happy people..