Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 years ago

What is the Difference Between An Auto Shop Vs. Garage?

Last Wednesday, I went to the meet the owner of a 1997 Dodge Avenger who said the car needs some repair especially the passenger side door because of the door hinge. Well, I contacted an Established auto garage about a possible passenger door hing repair and he replied by saying I would need to go to a body shop because his garage does not repair doors and the such.

My question is, what is a body shop vs a garage because I thought they were all the same since they all work on vehicles.

Favorite Answer

Garages are generally for standard maintenance procedures....oil changes, headlights, fuses, belt replacements, coolant changes, brake pad replacements, "maybe" a minor repair like rebuilt alternators, or replacing a radiator.

Body shops are typically involved in repairs that can take several hours to days....car accident damage, large dents, radiator replacement, engine replacement, windshield wiper motor replacement, electric window motor replacement, etc.

.

• Ron

And yet another new troll account

A body shop is setup for fixing body related items and paint.. a garage would be setup for mechanical repairs (engine, trans, brakes, etc) different setup and tools.

• Jay P

Essentially a garage works on mechanical, electrical, and/or electronic systems in the vehicle while an auto body or collision shop repairs the chassis.

There may be some overlap such as a garage replacing a door handle or a collision shop replacing a light bulb but as a general guideline, that is how I would differentiate them...

body shop works only on the exterior parts and not the mechanical. garage or auto shop usually works only on the mechanical