Windows Update: How long should it take?

TL;DR: How long should it take for Windows Update to process about two years' worth of updates, after a Windows 8.1 "factory restore"?
Update: HP 15 Notebook computer, built in 2014 with Windows 8.1. I ran a (needed) "factory restore" with no trouble, and did the initial setup on the fresh image. My troubles began when I tried to run Windows Update. No response; just continuous "Checking for Updates". I tried all of the resets /... show more HP 15 Notebook computer, built in 2014 with Windows 8.1. I ran a (needed) "factory restore" with no trouble, and did the initial setup on the fresh image.

My troubles began when I tried to run Windows Update. No response; just continuous "Checking for Updates". I tried all of the resets / tricks from the MS Knowledge Base that I could find.

No joy. Eventually, I just started Windows Update "Checking for Updates", and left it.
Update 2: After 25 hours (yes: 25) it finally responded with 209 updates, and was ready for reboot after 6 more hours. Now, I've been seeing "Updating your system (0%)" for about 12 hours. I know that Windows Update can be troublesome. But, is this really normal for the update cycle after a "restore to... show more After 25 hours (yes: 25) it finally responded with 209 updates, and was ready for reboot after 6 more hours. Now, I've been seeing "Updating your system (0%)" for about 12 hours.

I know that Windows Update can be troublesome. But, is this really normal for the update cycle after a "restore to factory"?

Any other advice?