Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 3 years ago

I m not sure what to do about my college major?

Hello, I am currently a college student finishing up my first year. Pursuing an associates degree in criminal justice, my career preference in life is a Ohio State Trooper/Highway patrol. I have read on the OHSP website they say a college degree is not needed; but it definitely helps (I would assume) I knew this however the website begins to explain how officers often go to school for management for advancement with their division. So my question is should I switch my college major to management or finish out my criminal justice? Thanks for your opinions. [OHSP](http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/recruit/questions.html...

Favorite Answer

It's certainly ideal to speak with the career counselor and/or "program director" of the criminal justice department at your schooI. If you were a friend or family member, I would suggest continuing with the associate's in criminal justice while perhaps taking some business or management courses, if you're still wanting to work in law enforcement. Getting the specialized training in law enforcement, criminal justice, or police studies, for instance, may help one's job application (and resume) to be more competitive and marketable against job applicants with less schooling.

Some jobs in law enforcement may require or prefer those with a bachelor's (four-year) degree (also known as a "college degree") or even a master's degree. A position of detective, for instance, may require a college degree or grad degree, and the individual has usually worked as a patrol officer for a few years before getting additional schooling and/or training.

Most people who want to become law enforcement major in CJ. There's no need to change your major. right now. If you're in CJ and liking it and doing well, you're fine.

You're right that having an associates can sometimes give you an edge in hiring, but most police forces require 60 credits, not the actual associates. But having the actual associates does give you some advantages, most especially in promotion. As the website you read implies, it's often either preferred or required that, to advance beyond a certain level, you have a bachelors degree. That may be something you'd want to do, part-time, after you get your first job on the force - it's not necessary that you transfer right after you finish your associates. At that point, it may be advantageous to change your major to management, or to continue on with CJ but minor in management.

Having your associates will give you an advantage when you transfer on for a bachelors. If you are short of an associates, they'll evaluate your credits on a case by case basis. If you have an actual associates, a lot of colleges will simply take all your credits, full stop. So it's an advantage.

There are other things you can do to give yourself an advantage in hiring. Being a former member of the military is an advantage. Speaking even some of a needed local language (here, it's Spanish) can be a huge advantage. Having decent computer skills. Etc. So find out what gives an advantage in hiring for the OHSP, and start getting those things. In addition, related to that, find out if it's often the case that OHSP hires people who have local police force experience - because if they do, and you don't get right into OHSP when you apply, then that's the route you take. Local police, then OHSP.

Gnaw on cox