? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 years ago

Is it illegal to record a conversation without one party knowing?

So I have worked at the same place for over two and a half years, but that is now coming to an end soon. Myself and others here have always done our job(and more) and we have saved my boss plenty of times. But now we are tired of it and as a result of her being disrespectful to everyone here, we are now unhappy. My boss has become untrustworthy, which is why I am asking this question now.

I live in the state of Alabama and as far as I understand we're a "1-part consent" state. But trust me, bottom line is, she is untrustworthy and will not doubt attempt to screw me over like her and her ex husband has to everyone who came before me. I want to record the meeting we are going to have later and I want protection if she tries anything later. I will no doubt be fired for this and I am planning on drawing unemployment from her until I get my old job back (which I left on good terms with). Am I in the wrong for doing this?

Favorite Answer

I confirmed Alabama's law says one party consent is enough. You are one party and thus give consent.

Record away and keep the recording safe.

This kind of thing almost always backfires, but have at it, boo. I think you're wrong. You have this idea that a boss needs to respect you and treat you with kid gloves. They don't.

It is a matter of state law.

• xyzzy

First you do not draw "unemployment form her". Unemployment is between you and the state, however your employer can protest your claim if you quit or are fired for cause. Oh course none has any idea what you mean by "untrustworthy" . An employer is not required to be trustworthy.

It would depend on which state you are in. Here in Texas you only need one party consent where as in others you do have to ask the other person if you can record their conversation.

Consult an attorney urgently! You need to ensure you are fully within the laws - state & federal - before you record any meeting. Also, you want to see what other legal actions you might take in this situation.

• Tim

Not necessarly true if you make the statement "for the record" it is often enough notice that this is for the record.