I was giving something by my grandmother she died and my grandfather wants it back what's my options?

I've been using my grandparents zero turn mower for about 5 years and have been mowing their yard along with one of their other properties for 8/9 years and have not been paid anything. My grandfather mentioned he was going to sell the mower about 3 years ago and had said I could buy it. At the time I... show more I've been using my grandparents zero turn mower for about 5 years and have been mowing their yard along with one of their other properties for 8/9 years and have not been paid anything. My grandfather mentioned he was going to sell the mower about 3 years ago and had said I could buy it. At the time I didn't have the money and told my grandmother I would bring it back. She asked why and I told her what he had said about selling it. She told me I had mowed their yards for the 8 going on 9 years and they had never paid me for it so I had technically paid for the mower and to just keep it. She's recently passed away and now another family member wants it and my grandfather has said to bring it back. Over the 4/5 years I've did and paid for all the maintenance on the mower spending thousands of dollars. What are my options