Anonymous

What should I do?

I'm a junior and today a community college rep came to talk to us and she talked about something like since 2 years at a 4 years college is your like regular classes and it doesn't matter what you want to major in and that their college has a program where they are partners with other colleges and if you go to their college and you decide to go to a 4 years college afterwards they can transfer your credits or whatever to that college if they are partners with them and there was a list of colleges and she said there were more colleges and she said it's cheaper than wasting your money your first 2 years and that at the you could end up with a lot of debt and I've been thinking about it. The carrier path I chose was cardiology and I had a plan to go directly to a four years college get out and directly to med school and since this I've been thinking about it and I was wondering which one was the better option. And it JJC by the way

Favorite Answer

Yes, you can take,your GE and lower level classes at a CC and transfer to a university Junior year.

The BIG issue is that med schools prefer all PreMed, or at least math and science portions, be taken at a university, not a CC.

Med Schools accept CC classes, but they give preference to university classes.

Some constructive criticism: Up your game. I understand this isn't a formal essay, but you have massive writing issues that will cripple you in your writing classes in college. Also, expand your world. This is an Internstional site, yet you speak of "JJC" as if it's something everyone's heard of, like Harvard or Oxford.

Good Luck

Since you are intent upon a career in medicine, do NOT even think about going to CC. None of your science classes will pass muster - not sufficiently demanding - and you will have to retake everything. Waste of time & money. Plus, CC is glorified high school. Most of the schools which will accept CC transfers are state colleges required by law. The most competitive universities generally don't consider transfers from CC.

If you have the real academic potential to pursue a bachelor's in premed program, and then go on to med school, you're wasting time & money on fourth-rate schooling for 2 years. Don't even think about going to CC. You need to be pursuing admission to highly competitive, highly regarded 4-year universities if you want to have any chance of competing for admission to medical school.

• Paul

It's true that you can save money by doing your first 2 years at a JC. If money is very tight then that may be your best option. The downside is that you will probably miss the social side of college in your first 2 years because you will be living at home. It's sort of like extended high school. I think going to a four year college is the best choice if you can afford it.

Source(s): Senior Scientist Emeritus (research university)

You can't take any of your medical school pre-requisite classes at a cc. Med schools want you to take those at a university. So you're welcome to go to a cc first and then transfer, but because of the number of med school pre-req classes, you may only be able to spend one year at the cc. And that's fine.

What I'd suggest is that you apply to both types of school - to the cc, and also to some four year unis. See where you get in, see what aid they offer you. Calculate, after non-loan financial aid, what you'll need to take out in loans for each school. Then decide.

• Scott

Well, she's an idiot. It's pretty clear as to what she's trying to do.