Kuwait deployment?

I'll be deploying to Kuwait as my first deployment. and I just wanted to know will it be okay if I bring my iPhone and my MacBook with me, and also how is it like in Kuwait.

Favorite Answer

Kuwait is not bad especially if you are at Airifjan which is about 60-70 clicks from Kuwait City. It is just like any other large Army airbase and you will find it pretty cushy and its joint military. All the billeting is hard structure with air conditioning as well as almost all the work centers just like any other base or post. You can expect to see temperatures of 115 -130 but its a dry heat so once your body becomes accustom to it and your take your time, when possible, to do things outside and if you stay hydrated then the heat is not as bad as it sounds.

On the other hand if you are going to Al Jaber that is hotter and in the opposite direction about 65 clicks from Kuwait City out in the oil fields. There you are really getting into the inner desert and I have seen temperatures of 145-146 there when the winds are coming in from deeper in the desert. That is a much smaller base and it is also is a shared base with the Kuwait Air Force. Most, but not all structures there are hard structures and your sources for entertainment of duty are much more limited. You will at times though be able to snag a day shopping trip from either into Kuwait City and FaHa Hill or the Shark Mall. FaHa Hill is the place to buy any gold jewelry since most of the rest of the city is not open to you because of the threat of terrorism. There also are day trips to the Hilton and the beach there which is quite nice as the Hilton has a very robust security and serpentine approach and blast barrier for vehicles and a pretty good security staff.

There is also Camp Doha which is an Army/Navy Port in Kuwait city itself. Some of that staff stays on post there in barracks while some stays off post in the Hilton. All of that is harden structure and the temperatures there are just a little cooler because of it being on the ocean but it is quite small and compact.

Yes, you can bring them. Be careful of discussing classified information on them. Kuwait is an Arab Muslim nation so watch out for the religious cops.

• NWIP

Kuwait isn't a 3rd world country it's one of the richest ones so you will be fine there. Yes of course you can take your iPhone and MacBook. You shouldn't keep your cell service unless necessary by contract.

Kuwait is more like an extended JRTC/JMRC with considerably more freedom. Mange your money or you will go broke real quick.