I am looking for great interesting piano albums, non vocal, old and new (jazz, ambient or electronic)?

I am currently listening to nils frahms, atomic count basie, solo monk, bill evans, keith jarrett, Andrew hill, bud powel, duke ellington, jan Johansson and chick corea. any suggestions. I am looking for charm, amazement, beauty and humour through the sound of the piano

• Best Answer

It sounds like you have a great start already. Some others that may interest you:

- Herbie Hancock, The Piano (solo), Maiden Voyage, Empyrean Isles and a lot more.

- Brad Mehldau Trio, about anything, really, but Art of the Trio vol 3 and Blues and Ballads may be good starters. There's also a Ten Years Solo Live set if you want to hear Mehldau solo.

- Fred Hersch, again, about anything. Check out Solo and Floating (with his trio).

- Art Tatum, Solo Masterpieces or other compilations. The recordings are old, but Tatum essentially defined solo jazz piano.

- McCoy Tyner, Inception and Reaching Fourth with the trio, Echos of a Friend solo, The Real McCoy with a quartet. And of course his playing with John Coltrane.

- Thelonious Monk, Brilliant Corners. You mentioned solo Monk; this is one of his ensemble recordings and was apparently very difficult to record.

- Kenny Barron, again, anything. Book of Intuition is recent and joyous. Also check out What If?

- Horace Silver, Song for My Father

- Errol Garner, self titled, Concert by the Sea

- Vijay Iyer & Wadada Leo Smith, A Cosmic Rhythm with Each Stroke. This recent release is unique and not mainstream jazz, but there is beauty to it.

I'd best stop there. There are an astounding number of great jazz pianists and recordings.

thanks for your answer tim. I have just googled Vijay Iyer & Wadada Leo Smith, A Cosmic Rhythm with Each Stroke and I really like it. atmposperic and stunning. I have ordered their cd from ebay.

• Mike

Phineas Newborn, Dave McKenna, Lennie Tristano, Mary Lou Williams, Dave Brubeck, George Shearing, Ralph Sutton, Marian McPartland, Oscar Peterson