What happened in the United Airlines incident in great detail?

I know that guy was not following the security's instruction, but what did he do to get the security to come for him?

Did the people who were chosen at random have to pay extra for a rescheduled flight? And did they have to pay for food at the airport because they had to stay there longer?

Since when did airlines have the authority to boot any lawful passengers off the plane for the airline's convenience?

• SteveN

They needed a total of four seats for UA crew members who needed to catch that flight so they could prevent ANOTHER flight from being delayed. So they asked for any volunteers to get off the flight which had already boarded. No one volunteered, so they had the computer pick random passengers that would lose their seat.

He was told that his seat number was picked at random by their computer and that he needed to collect his things and get off the plane. He politely refused to do so, explaining why he could not take a later flight. But when a crew member tells you to get off the plane, you have very little recourse (apparently).

Since he refused to cooperate and they were delaying the flight, UA crew called airport security. Those guys were only told there was an unruly or uncooperative passenger, so they came and forcibly removed him from his seat and had to drag him down the aisle off the plane because he refused to stand up and walk.

Later on, somehow, he escaped from their custody and reboarded the plane, at that point he appeared bloodied and visibly shaken. We don't know what happened after that. At least this is what we can make out from the videos on YouTube. There are several copies, you can go see it for yourself.

This is a PR nightmare for United, and they have become the butt of memes online and jokes by late night talk shows. No customer should EVER be treated the way that this man was. And it appears some public relations people were trying to bring up the point that this doctor (David Dao) actually has a shady past, and may have lost his license to practice at some point. Does that make it okay to treat a passenger who had paid for the flight this way? If that was me, would they be bringing up the couple of speeding tickets I got in my twenties?

Sometimes you look at something that's happened, and you just KNOW that it's not right. This is one of those cases. I think UA may be facing one or more lawsuits. And the airlines in general better get their acts together. I know I avoid flying now because delays at airport security and situations like this mean I feel safer and more comfortable driving ten hours than taking a 2-3 hour flight.

Hmm! Sneaked back! That's a no-no