Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 years ago

Could you pls give me at least 20 of the bestselling authors whose works are legitimately proven to hold some massive literary merit? Tnx:)?

• Andrew
    Best Answer

Explain how whether or not one particular work can be legitimately proven to show "literary merit." That's like asking whether or not one painting can be legitimately proven to show "artistic merit" while another cannot. Not to mention that accurate figures are not available for many highly regarded writers because the concept of "best-selling books" didn't exist at the time they were producing their works. That being said, using the opinions of highly respected authors and literary critics as well as those of serious and accomplished readers who would be in a better position than the average person when it comes to such things, I would say that one list of twenty writers who would classify as "best-selling" who could also claim to be widely regarded as very talented would be:

Jane Austen ("Pride and Prejudice")

Albert Camus ("The Plague")

Lewis Carroll ("Alice's Adventures in Wonderland")

Charles Dickens ("A Tale of Two Cities")

Alexandre Dumas ("The Count of Monte Cristo")

F. Scott Fitzgerald ("The Great Gatsby")

Ernest Hemingway ("The Old Man and the Sea")

Hermann Hesse ("Siddhartha")

Harper Lee ("To Kill a Mockingbird")

Cormac McCarthy ("All the Pretty Horses")

Henry Miller ("Tropic of Cancer")

Haruki Murakami ("Norwegian Wood")

Vladimir Nabokov ("Lolita")

George Orwell ("1984")

Alexander Pushkin ("Eugene Onegin")

Philip Roth ("Portnoy's Complaint")

J.D. Salinger ("The Catcher in the Rye")

John Steinbeck ("The Grapes of Wrath")

J.R.R. Tolkien ("The Lord of the Rings")

Leo Tolstoy ("War and Peace")

I was unable to find reliable sales figures for highly respected novels such as "Ulysses", "In Search of Lost Time", the works of Dostoyevsky, etc., but I'm sure they could be included as well depending on how stringent you wish to be with the term "best-selling."

• Marli

My rule of thumb is: If a book is still in print at least twenty-five years after its first date of publication, it has merit. It may not have great literary merit. Sherlock Holmes is not known to be a literary work, but it has been in print for over a hundred years, so it has great merit as popular fiction. The book may not have been a "best-seller" when it was first published, but if it s still in print, it has had respectable sales throughout those 25+ years, so it is a "long" seller.

So, I suggest you take a walk through your bookstore and note down the authors you recall reading in high school, or that your parents recall reading in high school. Also, note the Penguin Classics and the Penguin Modern Classics.

I'm afraid I can't give you any of them as I don't own any bestselling authors at the moment. I once owned Stephen King but I swapped him for five grand and two Hollywood directors and a Microsoft CEO. Would those do?

How would one "legitimately prove" that a book "holds some massive literary merit"? Proof is for mathematics and philosophy, not literature.

• Car Vin3 years agoReport

i deeply apologize for that. i should have said "something that you think holds" instead of that proof thingy. forgive me:(

No.