Anonymous

Being proud of your heritage?

So I was watching this speech from Lana Parrilla. She was collecting an award. But she's from Brooklyn NY. Her mum is American and her dad Puerto Rican. Now she said in her speech she's proud to be Latina and also said that she stands there a proud Puerto Rican.

It's confused me because also she's classed as an American from being born and raised in NY. Can people say that they're proud such n such because of their heritage? im half Scottish and proud to have Scottish heritage. Is it in a way acceptable to say I'm proud to be Scottish? Not for legal stuff but socially? Like the way Lana Parrlia is proud of her Puerto Rican side?

• Vince

Of course.

Americans come in many ethnicities, and Puerto Rico is part of the US. It's entirely possible to be both American and Puerto Rican and thus Latina.

I am of Scottish ancestry myself. There would be nothing wrong with my saying that I am proud of that. Every American is the descendant of immigrants from somewhere (even the Native Americans), and many celebrate that fact in various ways.

• Mark

Well, considering that Puerto Rico is a part of the US and Scotland isn't, perhaps you could say something like "I'm proud of my Scots heritage". (Unless you were born in Scotland, you aren't Scottish.)