What's the difference between a motor and an engine?

I'm confused! Some say that motors are electric and engines use fuel. But rocket motors use fuel and are called motors. And steam and stirling engines that run off of concentrated solar energy or geothermal energy don't use fuel directly, but are still engines. Electric motors can also use solar energy, or... show more I'm confused!

Some say that motors are electric and engines use fuel. But rocket motors use fuel and are called motors. And steam and stirling engines that run off of concentrated solar energy or geothermal energy don't use fuel directly, but are still engines. Electric motors can also use solar energy, or even fuel used in fuel cells. Plasma propulsion engines use electricity for propulsion and yet are called engines.

Others say that engines are more complicated than motors. But a pneumatic or hydraulic motor can be just as complicated as any engine. And there are turbine engines with only one moving part, and even ram-jet engines that have no moving parts.

Then you have the saying that gasoline and diesel powered automobiles have engines. But then you go to the department of motor vehicles to register your motorized vehicle, motorhome, motorcycle or motorboat that has an engine and no motor.

So what is the difference between a motor and an engine? None of this makes any sense! Is it wrong for me to open the rear hatch of my 1972 gasoline powered VW Beetle and say "look at the motor?" Or what if I open the hood on my 2013 Nissan Leaf and say "what do you think of the engine?"

What is the difference between a motor and an engine?????!!!!!