Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 3 years ago

How do you find out what the sales tax should be on food sold by restaurants in the Carolinas?

I offer online ordering to restaurants in the Carolinas so that their customers can purchase food from them online, but I need to know the sales tax percentage that customers should pay for their food so that their online order payments reflect the sales tax also. Please tell me how I could find this out. Thanks.

Update:

Well, the system handles the tax addition automatically, you just have to know what the sales tax percentage is to enter into the system. Once it is entered, the prices automatically update whenever customers make an order. I just need to know how to find the original sales tax to begin with.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Do you mean North or South Carolina? The North Carolina Department of Revenue (and its equivalent in South Carolina) can answer these questions for you. They're government agencies and can assist you (especially if it means they get their cut).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

your state web site for your sales tax will give you what you need to know

• tro
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

your state web site for your sales tax will give you what you need to know

• 3 years ago

If you're going to run a website that needs to collect taxes, buy a Point of Sale back end that will handle that for you automatically. Yes, it costs money, but it also ensures that you are complying with the law.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Why are you doing this?

The restaurants that you are associated with should have a page that they setup the information for their location:

- do they do pickup and delivery or only pickup?

- allow them to list which items are available. Like a restaurant near me won't do any fried food unless it's in the restaurant because it takes bad quickly

- what their tax rate is

- etc etc

Look at EAT24, grubhub, ubereats, etc to figure out what should be included.

But a better question is = what is going to be different about your program than the ones listed?

• 3 years ago

Ask at one

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

"The Carolinas" are not one place.

States have their own sales tax (if they have one). If cities/counties have sales tax, the rate is determined locally. The tax rate a customer pays is the combination of state and local sales tax. It will vary from location to location.

The state department of revenue for the state you're looking at will have a list of the composite sales tax rate for each different jurisdiction.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.