What should I Study if I'm good at science but not as strong in Math?

I'm a first semester community college Student taking Remedial Intermediate Algebra,English Composition,and Introduction to Ethics. I was a B Student in my High School Math courses and made A's and B's in my science courses. Right now I have a C in Intermediate Algebra and i think it's becuase I'm adjusting to the pace of college math courses,I missed a few days,and I haven't made as much time as I should have to practice more,watch videos,and get help from tutors. I like to believe that becuase most people that are good at math are because they practice,study more, and maybe even have seeked help themselves that if I do the best effort to learn the math that I could possibily learn it sufficient enough to go into STEM.i don't like people so the medical field isn't for me and Business has no science involved.Meteorology,Zoology,Geology,Civil and Environmental Engineering,and Hydrology seem very interesting to me. I never finished Algebra 2 or Geometry becuase I dropped out of high school and when I went back I took Intergrated math II so that's why I tested into remedial math. Can anyone give any advice?

Even though I know I can be good at math but while I'm struggling before I understand it someone will jump in my face and tell me I'm not good at math!

Does it mean I'm bad at math If I have to seek help from a tutor becuase the instructor doesn't teach it very good?

• Laurie
    Favorite Answer

You need more than advice. You need some objective data.

Go to your advising center and arrange to take two tests: an aptitude test and a career interest inventory. (There may also be legitimate versions of these tests online; I'm not sure.)

The aptitude test will suggest careers that align with your strongest natural abilities. The interest inventory will suggest careers that align with your interests, as compared to the interests of people already working in the field.

NOTE: WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ARE CAREERS THAT APPEAR ON BOTH -- REPEAT, BOTH -- LISTS.

Then, research the careers you are considering AT THE LIBRARY. Ask the librarians to guide you, and research the Department of Labor's employment outlook projections for those jobs. Steer clear of jobs with a poor employment outlook, or jobs that do not pay enough money to support yourself.

Next, find out the educational requirements for each of the careers you are still considering. Eliminate those jobs that require more preparation, in terms of time or money, than you are able or willing to invest.

Next, find out which schools (those that are available to you financially and geographically) have programs that will help you meet those requirements. Eliminate any jobs from consideration if you can't find a reasonable school to attend in preparation for those jobs.

Now, start talking to people who actually DO the jobs you are still considering. Be polite, and send thank-you notes; one of them may end up being your mentor. You may find some of these people on the faculty of your school, but you may have to seek them out. Find out what their typical day is like. Ask them which schools offer good preparation. Ask them what is good about their job, and what is not good. Ask THEM how much math they need to know.

Now you should have some objective data, and you should have the possibilities narrowed down to two or three jobs that match your abilities and your interests, that will be employable, that will pay a decent salary, and that you can actually attain. Then, you choose.

Good luck!

Sure