Zion asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 3 years ago

Can malware infect files on a computer (like pictures, audio, etc.)?

So a few months ago I got this pretty badass gaming computer, but all my music and pictures are on my old craptop. The craptop has a TON of malware on it, and normally id just transfer all the files by copying and pasting it like a normal person, but im paranoid that maybe some of the malware on my craptop might somehow be "hiding" in those files. I know, probably a stupid question, but just asking to be safe. Thanks

Favorite Answer

While it could be possible, its not likely. In order to reinfect it would have to execute which would be difficult. It's not as simple as opening the file unless it's an executable. exe, scr, and com are common execution files.

It is still recommended to scan all your files and use proper protection for your new system. Run an Antivirus and Malwarebytes Antimalware Free or Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium, an Adblocker such as uBlock or the Windows Host File, and HTTPS Everywhere.

3 years agoReport

The only thing I mentioned that costs money is Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium. The rest is all free and provides more protection in areas that an AV doesn't. I'd still recommend Malwarebytes Premium over an other AV as it has Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware built in.

Yes, it's possible that the malware has infected the music and pictures. It's best to use a trusted malware scanner like mcaffee. You should get it for your new computer as you don't want it to get infected.

• Zion3 years agoReport

are you seriously recommending Mcaffee? what kind of monster are you?