Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I just gave my bank routing and account number to a debt collector are they going to steal my money?

I do own some college books that i never paid off and they have been emailing ever since. But i finally ave the money to them.

The only way to pay installments is by giving them accounting and routing number, or paying by credit card which was like an extra $30.

What are the chances of them taking this information and using it for their own personal uses???

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Tim
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Never do that, yes your account is empty by now.

• 4 years ago

CLOSE THE ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW.

You've just given someone unlimited access to all your money in that account and in the future. The "debt collector" lied to you.

If you are contacted again, demand a phone number, the business name, and an address at which you can contact them directly. (If, like me, you're deaf, have someone make the phone call for you and relay messages back and forth.) If you even get the phone number and address (not likely), look them up on the Internet.

Then, if you remember who you owe the money for textbooks, pay the money you owe directly to the textbook seller. There are two benefits. One is that you let the seller deal with calling off the debt-collection hounds. The other is that the hounds don't get a penny of your money. They bought your debt for pennies --- don't let them profit.

• 4 years ago

You should have given them WRITTEN permission to take the money, with the exact amounts on it. An honest debt collector (is there such a thing?) would stick to the terms of that permission, otherwise you could sue them big time. On the other hand, if even one payment bounces, you will be in big-time trouble, with bounce check fees (the permission letter counts as a check), more legal fees, and even worse.

• 4 years ago

watch your account carefully.

they're likely to want to stay in business, so there shouldn't be a problem. and you just never know what some sneaky employee might do with that information

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Very little chance. It would be too easy for them to be caught.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Shilo
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Your routing and account numbers are on every check you write. People have access to these numbers all the time. I don't think that they are going to steal your money by using these numbers, but they can always take the money you sent and close shop without a trace of where they go.

• I would look them up and make sure they are who they say they are and are allowed to collect that debt. there are a lot of scams out there and most of the people collecting these debts are liars and thieves

• 4 years ago

Very little chance they use it for personal use unless they like prison.

• 4 years ago

$30 is an inexpensive option to keep your bank account and routing numbers out of their hands. The company itself won't abuse it, but an employee could easily do so.

• 4 years ago

If they are actually ethical, then they will only take what they are owed.

But - - keep an eye on your balance very carefully to look for ANY unauthorized withdrawals.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.