Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 years ago

Should polygamy be legal in the USA?

I don't need bible answers. Even the

patriarchs of Christianity had more than one wife. They even had concubines

Favorite Answer

Well...let's define terms.

I think polyamory should be legal. Polygamy, as the term is used in the US, almost always implies one man, several women. I don't believe that to be fair or defensible. Polyamory, however, is used to denote multiple partners of whatever gender.

And, thus defined, the answer is yes. People should be allowed to freely associate and to construct whatever kind of marriage they want between consenting adults.

But, here's the thing - There are some legal and practical hurdles to overcome. Inheritance, divorce, child custody and insurance benefits, for example, would all have to be worked out to develop a fair and equitable system among several partners. If they can work out a system for dealing with those issues, and as long as the people involved are adults and are able to give free and informed consent, then I support the idea.

Yes, it should.

Its ok to have a wife and several girlfriends - but its not ok to have more than one wife

• ?

According to a Biblical standard polygamy was allowed for a time because of mankind's hard heartedness. It is no longer acceptable for people who follow a Bible standard. That piece of information is not necessarily a factor in making a law for a diverse population. There is really no realize for polygamy not to be legal, along with all the laws that generally govern aspects of property and divorce.

I have no moral objection to it as long as all parties are consenting adults. Ditto for polyandry and polyamory. I think there are a number of legal issues that it would bring up in terms of health coverage, inheritance, taxes, and so on but they can be worked out.

r any of the gamies hot

No. First, I WILL give you a biblical answer. Polygamy was allowed temporarily, but in Christian times those who wanted to take responsible positions in the congregation were told they had to be "husband of one wife".

As for just the general concept, NO. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're a man. How'd you like to be one of 3 or 4 husbands of ONE woman? Do you not foresee any problems even if you were ok with it. Imagine 3 or 4 women vying for the attention of one man. Wonderful for the man, not so good for the women. Besides, practically speaking, life these days is difficult enough economically. Do you want to go out and support 4 wives, not to mention the children you'd have? And when would you have time to enjoy your multiple wives and children if you're out supporting them all.