Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Marybeth asked in HealthMental Health · 4 years ago

Fear of sleeping?

So I have severe anxiety, and I have a very high fear of death.

During the summer I can sleep through the day as long as it's light out and I know there's people awake in the house and I can also sleep a little bit better when I'm with someone even because I feel safe and my family thinks it's weird that I'm like this.

I'm trying to have a normal sleeping schedule but it's not working out so well considering it's 1:30 a.m. right now for me.

Can someone please help me? Please do not comment something stupid saying that you can't die in your sleep because dying in your sleep is highly possible.

Thank you for reaching out for help! Fear is a powerful emotion, and the first step to working through it is recognizing it, which you have already done. I'm so glad that you are reaching out for help, and with some practice, you can overcome your fear of anything. Fear is dictated by the thoughts we think, which cause the brain to produces chemicals and hormones that make us feel "fear." The key to overcoming fear is to (1) recognize it (ie. "I am beginning to feel afraid or anxious,") (2) Talk yourself through it (ie. "I am feeling like I am because I am thinking scary/negative thoughts about ________. This is just my body's response to these thoughts and this will pass in the next few minutes"), (3) Don't get up and try to "run away" from the feeling of fear, stay put, deep breath, and positive self-talk to yourself. The feelings of fear will pass within about 2 minutes, and once they do, you will realize that there is nothing to be afraid of. It is just your body's normal response to fearful thoughts. Once you recognize this, you begin recognizing that your entire life is controlled by your thoughts. Now that is a turning point and the beginning of empowerment. Check out the following 99 coping skills, which can help you to refocus her thoughts on positive things: http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/Discove

If you ever need to talk to a counselor about what is going on in your life, you can always reach out to free crisis hotlines. Keep reaching out! Sincerely, KO, Counselor

Source(s): Boys Town National Hotline -- Available 24/7 at 1-800-448-3000 -- Teens and Young Adults; http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/

Don't worry about it. You're not going to die in your sleep. It is possible to die in your sleep, but I sleep all the time, and I always wake up. And you shouldn't fear death. You need to try and focus on the present.

You know what helps me? Reading the Bible. There's a lot of scripture in there about how God will protect you when you're scared. And He will. Because He loves you, and he doesn't want you to be afraid of death all the time. It's really not good for you. You need to relax. Think of something else. Something happy. Like Jesus.

You need to see a psychologist. It could be something like OCD that's making you feel that way, and no one here is qualified to give the correct tips and strategies to overcome a mental health issue.