Natasha asked in HealthMental Health · 4 years ago

Will alcohol make you depress ?

I was really happy until I drank alcohol 2 days in a row with some friends. And now i am feeling really sad about everything. Isn't alcohol a depressant or something?

• Emily

Hello, Natasha! Although classified as a depressant, the amount of alcohol consumed determines the type of effect. Most people drink for the stimulant effect, such as a beer or glass of wine taken to “loosen up.” But if a person consumes more than the body can handle, they then experience alcohol's depressant effect. I have seen several of my friends get into extreme modes, too. Either they are very happy or too sad.

It is a depressant.

Yeah alcohol is a major depression. It stimulates feel good hormones but then it supresses them as it wears off. Also you feel rubbish as ur body temporarily craves the ethanol in the alcohol.

Yes, it's a depressant.