Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBasketball · 4 years ago

Is 19 too late to start basketball?

I m 19 (about to be 20 I m 3 months) and attend a community college. I ve played basketball on and off since I was 17, but recently I found a passion for it and practice every day.I ve been playing for about 3 or 4 weeks now. I was challenged by a guy and managed to beat him first game. I also managed to beat a retired amateur player in a few pickup games, I asked him to coach me but he declined. My jump shot is really good and has been complimented many times and my handles are improving, but I am inexperienced and slightly out of shape. Is it too late to be able to play overseas or something of the sort?

No. Not too late. Some nba players started playing serious basketball game at age 19 to 21 and still become a hall of famer nba player.

It takes about 5 years of intensive work (6+ hours a day) to reach the level of a professional athlete. It would then take several more to go from that point to actually getting into games and being able to help a team. So, you're probably 7-8 years away which would put you at around 28. If you can't hit your peak skill level before about 27 teams aren't going to look at you unless you have mind-blowing talent or skill and even then probably not. By 27, you're past your physical prime. No team is going to invest in a declining player.

If you have height and athleticism you might get at least get a look. I would say anything over 6'5 and a vertical in the high 30s at least. If you don't have that then you'll have to play your way in and the only way to do that is to go to college and play there. By the time you graduate you should be at least in the top 2 or 3 players on your team at a major school (or the best at a smaller school) otherwise you're just kidding yourself.

No sir, it is NOT too late. Many people find a newfound passion for the game. If you want to play professionally, it will be hard, but doable. You can transfer to a bigger college and play as a walk-on via tryout within the next year. Another thing you can do is tryout for the D-LEAGUE, otherwise known as the backdoor into the NBA. The tryout is pricey coming in at $300 NOT INCLUDING travel, airfare and rooming/housing. It is usually held in New York or Chicago.However, if you want to tryout, I wouldn't advise a waste of money. Until then, work on EVERYTHING. Make sure you can dribble fast with your head up, make sure you can make passes from 30+ feet away. Make sure you can shoot an NBA 3 pointer - 22 feet from the corners, 23.75 feet from the top of the key. ( gyms usually make their threes high school length.) Make sure you are able to run 94 feet back and forth (NBA COURT LENGTH) Good luck, hopefully I've given you the information you need. IT IS POSSIBLE, PUT IN THE WORK!

PS. from player to player, learn plays! Since you have never played, look up basic plays ( your'e expected to know them at this age ) to start off, look up iso plays, the 5-man weave, the 3-man wave and others that you'll have to learn. Good luck, Brother :)

- Alex

• Jason

yes...waaaaayyyyyy too late....