Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 4 years ago

What to Do When Friends Move On?

I'm a senior in high school. I'm naturally quiet and a bit socially anxious, but for the past few years, I've had a very close group of two girl friends, and some guy friends who hang out with us sometimes too. Recently, my two girl friends have started hanging out with this other group of kids. Technically I'm invited to most of the hang outs with my friends and this new group, but I generally don't enjoy them—I don' really know anyone in the new group, and I find that even after a month of trying to get to know them, I'm not very compatible with most of them. Another issue I have with this new group is that they're all fairly into weed and drinking, and although I'm not morally opposed to alcohol and drugs, I'm not into them at all. In general, I'm not a huge fan of this new group, and I really miss hanging out with just my two close girl friends, which we rarely do anymore since they're so immersed in this new group. Now I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I have essentially no one to hang out with outside of school, aside from my boyfriend of a couple months. What do I do? I don't want to completely pull away from my two girl friends, because we've been so close for so long. But, I kind of hate hanging out with the new group, which is the only way I can see them outside of school these days. I know that this is the sort of circumstance under which I should try to make new friends, but I'm two months away from graduation and very shy. Thanks for any advice!

Favorite Answer

This happens to most teens when they reach their senior year. It's time to turn your focus to your future, after you graduate. Are you going to college? What do you want to study and specialize in? Soon you will be going off to some new school, and even if your two friends are in the same class as you, they likely will also go their separate ways once high school has ended. Everyone's interests change as they grow up. Don't let their bad choices (drugs, alcohol) drag you down just because you feel lonely, left out or incompatible with them. These friends likely will end up being drug addicts, alcoholics, and apathetic about work, careers, family or friends.

suicide is the answer