Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How would i wire a plc to appliances without making a full, locked in automation system?

Can i use a plc with ethernet outputs to a female plug adapter? Thats the idea because i dont want to go with hardwiring and stripping cords. How exactly do i upload a program via flash drive or ethernet from a program i created unity? Thanks, new to plc.

2 Answers

  • 4 years ago

    For a PLC you would typically make a ladder diagram of what you want it to do and then program that in the programming language that the PLC uses. I have worked with PLCs, but not the programming which was done by others. You would not use Ethernet for appliances, you would use an output module in the PLC with isolated contacts, not sure if they use mechanical contacts or solid state triacs for AC, but maybe either are available.

    In my case I simply use good old fashioned X10 appliance modules plugged into wall outlets where I want to control lights and a related main controller with digital clock that can be set when to turn the modules on or off. It controls the wall modules remotely through the powerline, probably similar to powerline networking, but at a more primative frequency.

    Why reinvent the wheel:

  • 4 years ago

    Sorry, the terms in the question are so jumbled as to make no sense...

    PLC normally means "Programmable Logic Controller", which could have ethernet.

    plc + appliances; Power Line Control ?? But I've never seen a power line device that could control appliances with an Ethernet outputs..

    The commonest "Unity" in software is a game engine..

    As you mention appliances I'm guessing you wanting to do some form of on-off power switching? Powerline module like X10 are getting less common for that due to problems with mains filters etc. and the commonest type is probably now Z-Wave, which works by a mesh radio link.

    If you do not want to hard-wire things, you use plug in switch units:

    To control them you can use anything from a tiny handheld remote through a PC USB stick to a full intelligent controller.

    Other than that, you need to ask a new question & give details of exactly what you are trying to do and the exact parts you have or are considering using.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.