Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 years ago

Christians, how do you feel about tithing? Do you still do it even though it was part of the old covenent?

Favorite Answer

I don't tithe. My church

doesn't ask us to tithe. I think it's important to give what you are comfortable giving and what you can give joyfully.

I don't tithe but I would if I can afford to but I do put a little money in every Sunday at my Church.

• -

NUMBERS.18: = Tithes for Support of the Levites

21 “Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform, the work of the tabernacle of meeting...

24 For the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer up as a heave offering to the Lord, I have given to the Levites as an inheritance; therefore I have said to them, ‘Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.’” "

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Christians should tithe one-tenth of their income to fund the works of their Church/pastors and as long as tithing is not a burden to them, as per ACTS.15:24-29, eg they have to also consider about their government taxes, home mortgage repayments, etc.

....... Maybe, a tithe of about 5% of income should be just about right.

IOW, Christians should tithe, whether it's 1% or 10% or 20%, so that the work of God in the Churches can continue.

.

• BJ

the law requiring tithing was part of an exclusive covenant between God and the nation of Israel. Exodus 19:3-8 Only the Israelites were bound by that law.

The Bible states categorically that the sacrificial death of Jesus, in 33 C.E., blotted out, or abolished, the Law and with it the “commandment to collect tithes.” Colossians 2:13, 14

the Bible also shows that Christ fulfilled the Law, and God brought it to an end; so Christians are not bound by its regulations.

They do not tithe, nor are they under obligation to give any other contribution of a specified amount or at a particular time.

Paul wrote to the Christian congregation in Corinth: Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion.

Christians are not under the Law covenant given to Israel. Thus, they are not obliged to give a set amount to God.

The law of tithing is the preparatory law, just like the law of Moses and like repentance and baptism is the preparatory covenant. God uses the lesser law of tithing to help covenant members of the church learn to sacrifice to God.

Mature members of Christs church will supersede the covenant of repentance and baptism and the giving of one tenth of their increase as tithing with a commitment to give all that they have to God if required.

The early Christian church lived communally and members were required to give all that they had to the church. One couple died for not fully complying. See Acts 4:32 thru Acts 5:10

"And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living." Mark 12:32-34

"He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." Matthew 10:39

"So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:33

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1

"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." Matthew 19:29

If you don't like tithing, you certainly will not like the new covenant of faith through sacrifice that Christ administered.

A person can know with certainty Jesus exists and is God by practicing the Devotion to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin. Further information about this devotion is available online.

• GA41

Many Christians will disagree with me on this. I do not believe a 10% Tithe is a requirement for salvation. I also don't believe all the tithe must be given to the church you attend. The levites were dedicated to serving God and could not own land, so the people gave them a portion.----"Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, from their fellow Israelites—even though they also are descended from Abraham." (Hebrews 7:5). We don't have any Levites in our congregation. However, it is a great rule-of-thumb for giving. Paul said , "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."(2 Corinthians 9:7).---->Jesus said,"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”(Luke 6:38). The discipline of tithing will make you a better money manager. If you living above your means and tithing, then you are effectively borrowing the money you're giving. So tithing requires that you live within your means. It also teaches you not to hoard money. --->"24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."(Matthew 6:24). Some people say they cannot afford to tithe; I say you cannot afford NOT to tithe. If you are unable to begin with 10%, commit to 5%, begin to manage your money and as God blesses your effort to give, you can increase that amount until you reach 10%. You should support the church you go to. I give half my Tithe to my church and 1/2 to a variety of Christian Ministries. Also, you should give to members of your church in need, particuliarly widows and orphans. ---->'Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."(James 1:27). Giving a percentage of what God has blessed you should be a priority.

No, I do not. As you astutely pointed out, tithing is a part of the Old Covenant, and it is not mandated in the New Testament. Not only that, but the world's oldest and largest denominations (such as the Eastern Orthodox Church) believe that Christians are called to charity, but are not obligated to give 10% of their gross income to the local Church.