Homeschooling and need to make friends?

I'm a 15 year old teen that just enrolled in homeschooling and I'm having trouble finding out how to make friends. Is there any suggestions for how, other than church, or local homeschooling organizations? This is because in my area there's not any homeschool groups, and my family doesn't attend church. I would also like to meet teens around my age, so high schoolers. I keep seeing things for children.

Edit: Thank you very much for your answers, they have helped a lot and I appreciate the time you took to assist me.

• ?

As a homeschooler, you are still entitled to follow the extra-curricular activities at public schools. Contact your local school board to arrange this. They'll put you in contact with the school in your area and you can select which activities you'd like to join.

Good luck!

The same way any other kid makes friends! They play with the kids who live on their block, the meet kids at church, at swim lessons, in dance class, at the library and of course, at homeschool co-ops. Some homeschoolers go to after school programs and meet other kids there. Contrary to popular belief, parents don't lock their kids in the attic with a stack of books when they homeschool.

Wherever you live, and you didn't say where, there probably are homeschooling groups but you may need to drive a ways, and you need to find one that fits you. Google them. In my area there are homeschooling groups however they are almost all church-related unless I drive about 30 miles. that's okay it works for us, but you have to look. groups do tend to be focused more on younger kids, and that's because as you get older your opportunities broaden in the community. That's why I suggest you look beyond homeschooling groups at your community. Anything that is open to teens after school hours is open to you. you could do martial arts, take a dance class, volunteer, girl scouts or Boy Scouts, once you're 16 you can look for a part time job. Some communities have teen rec centers. Looking at the broader Community gives you a much broader group than if you limit yourself to strictly homeschooling only activities.

CYT - a theatre group. Many homeschooled student are involved.

Park district- they have sport teams and many programs for teens

Dance/art/music lessons. My daughter became good friends with a couple of other dancers in her dance studio.

Girl/Boy Scouts -is not just for little kids

Public library. Our's has volunteer programs for teens. They help out at the library. They also have several programs for high school aged students. Ask a research librarian to help you to find groups, volunteer opportunities and programs in your area. Tell them you are looking for suggestions to meet other kids your age,

You live in Memphis TN? You have homeschooled groups in your area. Check with your library. They will help you find them

• ?

Are you in the US? What state? There are sooo many homeschool groups across the states. Perhaps you just don't know where to look.

Name your state and I'll post back.

Other options could be local sports, drama clubs, music groups, teen volunteer groups.

UPDATE:

Here is a link with a list of a number of homeschool groups. It includes secular, christian, bilingual, African american, and even sports groups for homeschoolers.

http://eastmemphismoms.com/school/memphis-area-hom...