My dog Gina suddenly became paralyzed over a week ago and was diagnosed with IVDD. We cannot afford the surgery and have been forced to?

follow the conservative treatment method. Her bladder is being expressed every 4 hours, but she s leaking constantly. I ve done everything to keep her clean and dry, but she still got urine scald. We re treating it following her vet s recommendations. I need to know how to keep it from getting worse, heal it, and prevent it from happening again but I m at a loss with her always leaking. I d also like to know how long it took other peoples dogs with IVDD to recover with the conservative treatment (cage rest/steroids/pain meds). Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Clean and dry her skin then put vaseline on it to protect the skin. Use a cone so she cant lick it off. You may want to consider taking her to the groomer for a sanitary trim to make it easier to keep her clean.

Panties with an absorbant pad may be an idea too to help absorb urine.

Please visit Dodger's List. http://www.dodgerslist.com/ Very informative website for dogs suffering with IVDD.

Ask your attending/diagnosing vet, not strangers/children on YA.

You did not BOTHER to say what GRADE the IVDD was. Probably a 4 or 5. If in the 1-4 category only 50-60% recover, using the non-surgical approach.

If improvement in 48 hours is not seen; surgery is your best option. Even if there is a recovery, the dog stands a substantial risk for reoccurance, will take longer to get better, etc. and can be worse the next time.

If the dog is at GRADE 5, it is a medical emergency & surgery IS your only real course of treatment.

She is basically paralyzed and CANNOT manage her bladder; no longer has good sphincter control. It is your choice - how to catch & drain off the urine, whether by absorbent pads (in a diaper, aka bi#ches' britches) or via the pee pads you are currently using, in addition to keeping the surrounding skin clean & protected with bag balm, vaseline or A&D ointment.

http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-di...

Give this poor dog up to a no-kill shelter. It NEEDS surgery or to be humanely euthanized.

Oh dear, I feel so bad for you, your family and your dog!

I adopted a dog several years ago and a couple months after I adopted her she had a slipped disc that severed her spinal cord. The vet said the surgery would be around $5K, followed by ongoing physical therapy and medication, and did not guarantee that she would ever regain use of her hind legs again, and even if successful that she would not live without chronic pain. The other option was to do as you are currently doing, with the hope that somehow she would miraculously heal, which I personally could not force her to do. Never being able to run or play again, I saw it as a quality of life situation and had her put down. She was only 2 years old. It was so sad.

Everyone has their own views on this type of situation. As I said, for me it was a quality of life scenario. I hated watching her suffer, felt it would be unkind to let her suffer. And I felt that it was my job as the human to be kind and not keep a suffering animal alive just so I could say "I'd do ANYTHING for my dog to keep her alive, no matter how crappy her quality of life was, just so long as she was alive."

So it is up to you and your family how you feel about this, what you feel like the right thing to do for the dog. If you feel it is right to medicate her, try to keep her as comfortable as long as it is possible, then that is what you should do. For me, even though it was really hard and sad, I felt that the kindest thing to do was to have my dog put down.

So sorry you are going through this! It really is a horrible thing to go through. Hugs to all of you (Gina included).

Give him a treat and call him a good boy