Is making connections/networking that important in college?

I get that networking will open doors and help you find jobs due to your connections. But I don't see how that applies in all situations.

After I get my degree, I want to move to another state. How will connections help me in that scenario if I won't know anyone anymore?

If you're wondering what my degree is, or if a degree matters: I'm going for a BA in English to be either a teacher or a writer/editor. After that, I'm thinking of aiming for a Master's in School Psychology.

So anyway, are connections really necessary in this scenario?

People you meet here may know people in other states.