Brianna asked in HealthMental Health · 3 years ago

How come my panic disorder got less severe over the years? Should I still get treatment for them?(undiagnosed)?

To give some background I am an 18 year old female with undiagnosed panic disorder/anxiety. My panic attacks started around the age of 10 and I went from 5th-8th grade having extreme panic attacks everyday in certain settings (would always and only happen during gym and the lunchroom) I had to see my school s counselor almost everyday for it, I would fear the next attack happening, I had all the physical and mental symptoms of a classic textbook panic disorder. It was debilitating to my emotional state and I had to live in constant fear and depression. I would try my best to avoid these places and my parents didn t see my panic attacks as anything but a cry for attention. They never believed mental health was just as important as physical health, and dismissed my concerns. Thus, I was left untreated and still am. Luckily, when I started high school those places that triggered my panic attacks back in middle school did not occur with me in high school. Yes, I ve had plenty of panic attacks in high school but it wasn t everyday or as severe in middle school. I only get panic attacks at least once (maybe?) every 1-2 months. Since I have never been treated, why did it get less severe? I was thinking it was maybe the change of scenery and I had to get out of those schools (my middle and jr high school) I would also get them outside of school though. I hope to get treated for them by myself before I leave for college but I feel it s useless now since I rarely get them.

I want to make it clear I am still suffering from them and wouldn't really refer to them as something an average person would experience. These were everyday and my facial/body language made it clear what was happening at the time of the attacks.

Favorite Answer

Perhaps you're in a better place in life than from before and that you've developed some coping skills. Please, however, do talk with a licensed mental health professional, especially before leaving for college, as you'd mentioned. If one does have an anxiety disorder (or any mental health issue), certain stressors may bring on those earlier symptoms.

The two kinds of licensed therapists who may provide an "official" mental health diagnosis and administer more advanced therapy techniques, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (cbt) - which is how one's thoughts affect behavior - are either a clinical psychologist (PhD or PsyD) or a licensed-clinical social worker (LCSW). One may *also* learn some stress management techniques, such as "deep (abdominal) breathing."

This website may have some local counseling agencies:

https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/ and can type one's zip code or state of residence into search.

Their toll-free 24/7 ** referral ** hotline:

1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Just an fyi that the college or university should have a school counselor on-staff, too, and the school may offer counseling and health services (or refer the student elsewhere).

The "anxiety and depression association of america" website has more general info and resources (though, *not* in place of professional treatment):

https://www.adaa.org/

The same previous website has more general info re: anxiety and college students:

https://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/college-s...

This website has more general info re: "anxiety," too (however, also *not* in place of outside professional help):

https://www.helpguide.org/home-pages/anxiety.htm

EDIT: I should've added that if one has any type of disability, he/she is typically eligible for "reasonable accommodations" in the classroom (and/or the workplace), according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. Such accommodations in the classroom may include getting longer time on tests and/or a separate room for exams (usually with a test proctor). The student (or employee) would need medical documentation of the types of accommodations being requested.

It sounds like you went through normal adolescent mood episodes and are now growing out of them naturally.