How do you start understanding politics?

Not reading the news. Not finding out what party you like more. I'm talking about finding the information to genuinely defend your reasoning and values. Ex: If I wanted to explain why immigration is good or bad. Or if I wanted to explain how liberal or conservative politics work. Seriously, I just... show more Not reading the news. Not finding out what party you like more. I'm talking about finding the information to genuinely defend your reasoning and values.

Ex: If I wanted to explain why immigration is good or bad. Or if I wanted to explain how liberal or conservative politics work.

Seriously, I just want to get better educated on how it all works. I've taken several US history classes and none of them helped me understand democrats and republicans better. I understand the values and beliefs but what about how their systems work?