How many elections have presidents won with out the popular vote of the voter but by electoral votes instead?

Me and my in-laws are in a debate over whether a voter's vote counts or not. We all understand we are the voter and the voter votes for the delegate who holds the electoral ticket but who is to say that said delegate can't change their mind at the last second before placing their electoral vote after we as... show more Me and my in-laws are in a debate over whether a voter's vote counts or not. We all understand we are the voter and the voter votes for the delegate who holds the electoral ticket but who is to say that said delegate can't change their mind at the last second before placing their electoral vote after we as the voter voted them into position to for who we wanted. Who's to say they did not have a alternative motive the entire time and was just putting up a show for the voter to get themselves elected back in to office...
Update: READ ALL THREE ANSWERS NOT JUST THE TOP ANSWER!!!! UPDATE at this time I have gotten three really god answers and every one covered really good points but I can only pick one top Answer. I just wanted to add that so any one who finds this in the future take the time to really read all three answer they are all... show more READ ALL THREE ANSWERS NOT JUST THE TOP ANSWER!!!!

UPDATE at this time I have gotten three really god answers and every one covered really good points but I can only pick one top Answer. I just wanted to add that so any one who finds this in the future take the time to really read all three answer they are all good and on point.