Is solder wire safe to play with?

I KNOW it sounds weird but in chemistry we had an experiment and one of the metals that we were experimenting with was solder (?solder wire?). I was playing with it and it just felt like it would be nice to fiddle with in class (it was really flexible and smooth) because I always crack my knuckles. In the past... show more I KNOW it sounds weird but in chemistry we had an experiment and one of the metals that we were experimenting with was solder (?solder wire?). I was playing with it and it just felt like it would be nice to fiddle with in class (it was really flexible and smooth) because I always crack my knuckles. In the past playing with blue tac was good at distracting me from doing so. So I was just wondering if this metal is safe to frequently handle and if traces are dangerous if ingested (like touching food or opening drink bottle).
I'm asking because I'm finding it hard to find information about this wire/whatever it is as I can't identify the metal - I just get results about joining metals together when i type 'solder'