USAA insurance questions?

Situation my grandfather was in the military but he passed in 06 on my birthday. I'm now 21 I know to get usaa you have to have a military family. But someone told me I'm not old enough because I'm 21. Is that true? Can I apply for it because of my grandfather? I know my mother definitely can but can she doesn't have a vehicle so can she get it and add me on her policy without it sky rocketing up? What all would I need to apply anyway?

• Daniel
    Favorite Answer

You need to go onto usaa.com and see what their membership requirements are.

It says:

"Family

Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined USAA prior to or during the marriage and individuals whose parents joined USAA."

Simply having a grandfather that was in the military isn't enough. You have to have a parent that is a USAA member. So, your grandfather would have had to be a USAA member and then one of your parents would have had to have gotten USAA membership due to your grandfather being a member.

In short--unless one of your parents is a USAA member, you are ineligible for membership.

only if the vehicle is in her name and register to her

you do not have to have a military connection to get USAA insurance

its a civilian insurance company, they insure anyone

whether they will insure you, is a different story, some insurance companies will not insure new drivers unless they are 25 years old, unless a family member already has a policy with them

You probably do not qualify.

Generally, the military member has to be a USAA member and they have to recommend you for membership.

But you can always call and ask them.