Emily asked in PetsCats · 3 years ago

Claw caps for cat. Pros and cons?

Our cat has all recently decided to start scratching up our furniture. We want it to stop but we also DO NOT want to declaw. Does any have any experience using claw caps with their cat? Did they work well? Are they still able to extend and retract their claws?

• Ocimom

I just keep nails trimmed weekly to every other week. I've never had to use the nail caps because I keep them trimmed. I've heard more positive results then negative ones for the caps.

Soft Paws are used regularly at our local shelter. They work very well and don't bother the cat at all. Yes, they can still extend and retract the claws.

• DeAnne

yes but your furniture will be safe.

I found the best way to stop a cat clawing furniture is buy a scratching post. It doesn't take long before they use that instead of the sofa. I've never needed claw caps.

• J C

They do prevent the cat from damaging furniture, and do allow the claw to retract normally. The cons are hat the claw will still need to be trimmed when the new one are applied, and they can get to be expensive over time. Have you tried a sturdy piece of cat furniture with two or more levels, and at least one sisal (rope) wrapped post. Most cats will choose an appropriate surface to scratch over our furniture. Get one, along with a cardboard scratch box. Put some double sided tape on the corners of the furniture (or where he is scratching). If that does not work, then by all means get the claw caps.

• PR

A couple ideas:

-My husband had a work associate who took a cat in, who then proceeded to scratch on her furniture. Someone told her to tape inflated balloons to the area where the cat scratched. One loud "Pop!" and kitty stopped that behavior.

-My daughter worked for a grooming salon (in a popular pet supply store), and they routinely applied claw caps to cat claws. As long as applied correctly, they stay on. Apparantly the cats don't mind them, but I don't know the "ins and outs" of whether the claws retract, or not - I am pretty sure the company would not be able to market them if they inhibited the natural claw movement. But, ask your vet, or your groomer about the details.

-We have a very tall and inviting cat tree. This is placed by the doorwall where the cats can look outside. It also has a tall, jute-covered post that they love to scratch on. I have replaced the jute about four times. But, catnip spray makes it even more attractive.

No, I would not declaw. This can cause all sorts of problems, which you may not be able to rectify.