What do these authors tell you about a person's personality?

I wanted to read The Martian and my roommate said he had it on his nook. So I downloaded the app and he logged on it. Man, he reads A LOT! He has 317 books! I'm not going to list all of them, but he tends to read certain authors more than others. So here are the authors he has with 3 or more books. Some are famous, some not so much.

Authors with 3 books:

Agatha Christie

Suzanne Collins

Dashiell Hammett

Steig Larrson

Sharyn McCrumb

Charles Portis

Authors with 4 Books:

Dan Brown

Tom Clancy

Ann Coulter

John Jakes

Steven James

Louis L'Amour

William Shakespeare

Dan Simmons

Scott Turow

Mark Twain

Authors with 5 Books

John le Carre

Charles Dickens

Ruth Downie

William Johnstone

Steven King

Dean Koontz

George R. R. Martin

Frank E. Peretti

Author with 7 books

Philip Reeve

Authors with 9 Books

C.S. Lewis

James Patterson

Authors with 11 books:

John Grisham

Authors with titles that have either the word "Complete" or "Mega Pack" in the title:

Edgar Rice Burrows

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Zane Grey

HP Lovecraft

Charles H Spurgeon

There's a lot of non-fiction too. There are several For Dummies and Complete Idiot's Guides as well as two Encyclopedias (one on Biblical Difficulties and one on Serial Killers and Assassins.)

We've been roommates for about 2 months now. He's really smart but I'm asking this question to see if it is possible to guess a person's personality by the books he reads. (Honestly some of the books he reads surprises me.)

Best Answer

So he likes crime with some horror, fantasy, and a few classics thrown in - lot of people fit that description, especially since he seems to stick to the more mainstream novels.

To be honest, I think YOU are more interesting in that you make the effort to count and analyse your roommate's books.

• If someone has 300 plus books on his nook, his list isn't what he has read, but what he thinks he might read someday.

For instance, all those "mega pack" authors are in the public domain. I have links saved off to them, but will likely never finish reading them.

• Lomax

317 books - is that all? Although I've never (and WILL never) go down the route of owning e-books, I couldn't imagine being restricted to so a low number.

Mind you, having the texts of 317 books is not the same as having read 317 books.

Looking through them, there's a variety - which is good to see. Some books are intelligent and thought-provoking, others are minor entertainments, which is as it should be. The only author your friend should be ashamed of having in his "library" is Dan Brown.

It's particularly good to see someone (who is presumably) so young reading H P Lovecraft.

PS - The Martian is well worth reading.

idk man k man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!