Should I get a restraining order?

I broke up with my boyfriend a few days ago and he has not left me alone since. I was upfront about not wanting kids and he lied to me about not having any. So when he told me he had kids we broke up.

Now he won't stop calling, his kids keep calling and blowing up my voice mail.

This morning his daughter showed up on my doorstep. I didn't know at first since I haven't met his kids.

It happened a couple hours ago so it's still fresh.

She said "why won't you date my daddy?"

Me: things didn't work out, something a little girl has no business with. (I spotted him standing at the end of my driveway.) Go back to your dad and leave.

Her: you're mean! My daddy is the best man in the whole world.

So I walked out to him and tried to talk to him. He had a small bouquet of flowers.

Me: this isn't healthy for you or your kids. Leave them out of this. The only time they should be involved is if you're planning on marrying someone. Now get off my property and leave me alone, stop calling.

Him: so that's it huh?

Me: yea.

Him: you're not going to give my little girl a mom?

Me: she already has one. (His ex wife is still very much alive).

I went in my house and they both started beating down my door. He was egging on his kid to keep doing it. They left after 30 minutes of yelling and knocking.

Tbh I feel I dodged a bullet here.

Should I get a restraining order? I don't want this to keep happening or worse.

Favorite Answer

Restraining orders aren't as easy to obtain as Dateline would have you believe. You can certainly try filing and hope you get an understanding judge but, without at least a couple police reports documenting his behavior, you may not get very far. If you aren't awarded a restraining order, make sure your case is airtight for the next time you file.

The first step is to stop engaging entirely. Don't answer your door. Don't answer your phone. Block him on social media and dating sites. Start a journal and keep a record of every time he contacts you after you've told him to stop. If he shows up at your door, document that too. Call the police and report him EVERY SINGLE TIME. Those police reports and that journal are evidence. Every time you document/report his behavior, you're building a case.

• linda3 years agoReport

Thank you!

30 minutes? you should have called police.

yes, if he attempts to call or stop call the police and get restraining order

LOL it will take a lot more than a restraining order to keep me away from my love.

Please re-read firefly's answer. Her advice about documentation is exactly what I was going to tell you. At this point, a restraining order would be premature, but that doesn't mean it won't become a good option later on.