How does the LDS welfare system avoid going bankrupt?

I know that the LDS church has an extensive internal welfare system and that it brings in substantial revenue from the tithing system that it more or less imposes on devout members of the church, but how does it avoid going bankrupt with its welfare system? I realize that the church has a strong work ethic, but in any large population there are always losers, scammers, and fraudsters. How does the church ensure that slackers do not drain the welfare system dry? What checks and balances are in place to ensure that welfare goes only to those who need it, and not just to those who ask for it?

Favorite Answer

The LDS Church welfare system is more than just handing money and food out to people. It's purpose is to help people gain financial independence and so for most people it's a temporary situation. Members receiving assistance counsel with the bishop first and he determines whether or not they should receive assistance and what type of assistance they should receive. Members are required to look at their finances and cut out unnecessary expenses to lesson their dependence on the Church. Sometimes it's determined that with better money management the person doesn't actually need assistance.

When it's determined that someone does need help, it's with the understanding that the person needs to be actively working to improve their financial situation. Many are signed up with the Church's employment services to help them find employment or better employment. Some people are encouraged to go back and get more education.

Often, instead of paying bills for people, the church places food orders for families with the bishop's storehouse. People then use the money they would have used on groceries to pay outstanding bills. That's the most common way people are helped.

I understand there are sometimes people who join the church for the purpose of scamming it for welfare, but from what I'm told, they don't often stick around when they find out that the way the program works is the church doesn't give out cash, but instead, writes checks for their bills. The fact that they're required to be actively doing something to get off welfare in order to receive welfare, is also a deterrent.

• sarah

Only those who are members in good standing get help.

Also, they have no paid clergy or ministers. So the billions of contributions sent to televangelists who live like God's does not happen to them.

There money goes to buy food and supplies to give to those who and when they need it.

The Church is charitable, but reasonable. Members who receive assistance from the Church have to demonstrate that they are doing the best they can to make ends meet, and just can't work it out. I don't know if there are any hard-set rules, but if you're paying $400/month on a sports car, the Church probably isn't going to help you pay for food for your family. It follow's God's model of helping those who help themselves.

I think the most important feature of the Church's welfare system is that it is explicitly structured to weed out free riders. It is designed to get people back in a place where they can support themselves. Or as the saying goes, rather than distributing fish, the Church teaches people how to fish.

I haven't gone through the process myself, as I've never needed it, but the way I understand it is that there are regular interviews with the local bishop who is in charge of the Church's resources. You work on a budget together, job-hunting, etc. etc. The bishop uses his individual judgment to determine if you are doing your part or not.

And scammers are very rarely smart enough to beat a system like that. If they want to scam people out of money, trying to get it out of the LDS Welfare system is probably one of the least lucrative options out there.

I would not trust them....

Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints, better known as the Mormons. He added a whole other book to the Bible, calling it the book of Mormon. Sure, he acknowledged that Jesus came in the flesh, but claimed that Jesus was the spirit brother of Satan! He claimed that one day we are all going to become gods. He had even made a number of dated prophetic predictions about men going on mission trips that never happened, churches to be built that never were, described battles which never took place, and even claimed the Native Americans were Jews, which they are not.

Mormons are a Cult. They added their own books to the bible and made up their own version.

Revelation 22:18-19 New King James Version (NKJV)

18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

• Michael V
      3 years agoReport

Acts 28:22 shows Christ's true church will face just such opposition as you share. Learn what the Church is really about:
      http://www.mormon.org
      http://www.lds.org

CHURCHES DON'T RUN THE WELFARE SYSTEM THE GOVERNMENT DOES

• supernovamike11
      3 years agoReport

Asker's talking about the Church's welfare system, not the government's. Churches can have their own.