Questions on the great gatsby?

I'm not going to be able to do my homework tonight because of work ,I don't have time to read the book, and I need this paper to pass my English class. I would really appreciate this and I will choose a best answer and give you recognition.

Questions

1. Explain how Fitzgerald uses setting to emphasize the differences between the social classes.

2. In the story, Tom and Daisy are part of the established upper class, while Gatsby is part of the class known as the nouveau riche. Decide hick social group you want to belong to and why?

3. What do the following symbols represent?:

a: the valley of ashes

b: the eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleberg

c: the green light at the end of Daisy's dock

d: the mantle clock

e: Daisy's voice "Full of Money"

4. Compare and contrast the characters of Tom and Gatsby.

5. Debate the The Great Gatsby illustrates the theme of the American dream being corrupted by the desire for wealth.

Favorite Answer

1. Fitzgerald uses setting to emphasize various aspects of his social classes in the novel. The Valley of Ashes is a dark, desolate place, and it is home to the poor, unfortunate lower class the was exploited during the 1920s. West Egg is tacky and looming, representing how many of the young millionaires (The "New Money") in the novel have found themselves suddenly rich and upper class without preparation. East Egg is just the opposite. It is classy and trendy, because all of the people there are old money; they were all rich even before the 1920s.

2. I would prefer to belong to the established upperclass in the novel. The "New Money", as Fitzgerald calls it, is a group of people who got rich quick through the prosperity of the 1920s and now do not know what to do with it. So they make poor choices, and eventually flame out, as Gatsby did. The established upper class is more prepared and is more able to maintain wealth.

3a- The Valley represents the corruption and carelessness of the 1920s

3b- The Eyes of Eckleburg are the eyes of guilt. They are suggested to be the eyes of God, and they eventually drive Wilson to kill Gatsby.

3c- The green light represents Gatsby's lost dream of being with Daisy.

3d- The clock is knocked over by Gatsby during his reunion with Daisy. It represents his desire to go back in time, to return to the past.

3e- Daisy's voice is full of money because she is part of the established upper class; she acts and talks like a rich person.

4 Tom is old money. He went to Yale, and is used to having what he wants and doing what he wants. Gatsby is new money; he was not always rich and still cares about others. Both Tom and Gatsby show various aspects of the carelessness and corruption of the time period.

5 Gatsby, because he was poor in his youth, still holds onto his idyllic idea of the American Dream; of being able to live back during happier times. But the 1920s were a period of both extreme wealth and extreme decay; of great rises and great falls. The instant gratification desired by those in the 1920s ultimately prevents Gatsby from having his dream, as Daisy rejects him after learning of the unsavory way in which he made his fortune.