Is there an age restriction on buying an AR15 upper receiver?

Well the ATF states that the lower reciever is the firearm so wouldn't that mean technically the upper receiver is only a part of a gun just like buying a firing pin or new barrel? I just wanna know of I can buy an upper if I'm not 18. Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

The only part that is considered a firearm is the lower reciever (unless its a registered machine gun with the drop in autosear or lightning link, then the autosear and lightning link are considered firearms as well). No age limit for buying an upper.

NO.

There is NO federal legal age restriction to buy ANY part of an AR, except the lower receiver. Most states do not have any restrictions either. However, a business may choose not to sell to a minor.

If you are under the age of 18, then you may not purchase ANY upper reciever, wether it be an AR variant or another upper. You must be 18+ to purchase an upper receiver.

If you want to have a rifle even though you are under 18, my suggestion would be to have your parent(s) buy you one. Or you can do what I did when I was younger, I went to an exotic auction (not very exotic), they mostly had European cattle, but outside of the auction there would be Amish that sold their old stuff. And many of them would sell their old rifles, personally I bought a .22LR. They do not care, in their eyes once you finished 8th grade you are a man and should start having children. They honestly do not care, it is the closest thing to the wild west. That is my recommendation, however note this is illegal. For me it was only something casual, I grew up on a ranch. It was more of a utility rifle, if you live elsewhere authorities would most likely throw you in prison for 10+ years.