Bank Rejected My Federal Tax Refund?

I called several days ago and spoke with the people at Walmart Prepaid Debit Card and had it set up so that my husband and I both were on the card. Today our Federal Tax Refund was direct deposited and rejected by the bank. When I called the Walmart Prepaid Debit Card people tell me that I was not added to the account and then they tell me that I was added to a card but a new one. I have tried calling the Irs numbers to find out if I can have it direct deposited to my bank but I can not get through to speak to anyone. I read that if your Tax Refund is rejected that the Irs will mail you the check. Does anyone know how long it takes for you to get the check in the mail? I live in Charleston, WV.

Favorite Answer

I, too am experiencing the same exact issue as you. I had called Walmart Money Card before ever filing my tax return and told them that the return is a joint return with my Wife's name on it as well; they said that it would not be a problem as long as my name was on the direct deposit as well. I went ahead and put my account and routing number in and filed. My returned was accepted as of 01/25/2012 and WMR stated that my refund would be direct deposited on 02/01/2012. Low and behold, no money in our account. I continued to check and nothing. I then called Walmart Money Card CS and it automatically told me that my refund was rejected and would be returned to the IRS. I spoke to a woman and argued with her for an hour based on what they had told me. She agreed to transfer me to a "Loss Department" in which I had to wait on hold for 25 minutes. Finally getting to talk to someone, she told me that she would issue a request to have the direct deposit examined and if it was addressed to my name as well, they would not send the direct deposit back to the IRS and would credit out account. She also stated that they hold rejected funds for 48 hours after rejection. She told me to call back tomorrow (02/02/2012) to see what they have figured out. It's definitely aggravating being that I inquired about this before doing so and was assured it would be no problems. I even spoke with the IRS and they too were shocked and how insane it was that the refund was rejected based on what had happened.

The short of it, if Walmart Money Card isn't notified about an issue within 48 hours of the rejection of the direct deposit, the funds will be returned to the IRS. After speaking with the IRS, they had informed me that if this does happen, they will cut a paper check and I (should) receive it within 4-6 weeks. I asked if that was just a guideline to go by and perhaps if it happened quicker sometimes and she said no, it usually takes about a month and no sooner. Sorry for the bad news.. I too am extremely aggravated and if tomorrow doesn't bring good news, I'm going to start at the top with Green Dot, GE MoneyBank and Walmart Money Card and let them know what I think.