I hate my gout!!!?

I usually get gout attacks every month and I hate it... I'm not a fan of meds, so I don't go to the doctor, only when it's really bad tho. But the thing is, I really want to be productive every single day but my gout just hinders me. What can you guys suggest me doing in order to avoid this mess?

I tried exercising and eating foods that are gout free...and still have attacks.

• Gert
    Best Answer

Weight loss. Being overweight increases the risk of developing gout, and losing weight lowers the risk of gout. Research suggests that reducing the number of calories and losing weight — even without a purine-restricted diet — lowers uric acid levels and reduces the number of gout attacks. Losing weight also lessens the overall stress on joints.

Complex carbs. Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, which provide complex carbohydrates. Avoid foods such as white bread, cakes, candy, sugar-sweetened beverages and products with high-fructose corn syrup.

Water. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking water. An increase in water consumption has been linked to fewer gout attacks. Aim for eight to 16 glasses of fluids a day with at least half of that as water. A glass is 8 ounces (237 milliliters). Talk to your doctor about appropriate fluid intake goals for you.

Fats. Cut back on saturated fats from red meats, fatty poultry and high-fat dairy products.

Proteins. Limit daily proteins from lean meat, fish and poultry to 4 to 6 ounces (113 to 170 grams). Add protein to your diet with low-fat or fat-free dairy products, such as low-fat yogurt or skim milk, which are associated with reduced uric acid levels.

Recommendations for specific foods or supplements include the following:

High-purine vegetables. Studies have shown that vegetables high in purines do not increase the risk of gout or recurring gout attacks. A healthy diet based on lots of fruits and vegetables can include high-purine vegetables, such as asparagus, spinach, peas, cauliflower or mushrooms. You can also eat beans or lentils, which are moderately high in purines but are also a good source of protein.

Organ and glandular meats. Avoid meats such as liver, kidney and sweetbreads, which have high purine levels and contribute to high blood levels of uric acid.

Selected seafood. Avoid the following types of seafood, which are higher in purines than others: anchovies, herring, sardines, mussels, scallops, trout, haddock, mackerel and tuna.

Alcohol. The metabolism of alcohol in your body is thought to increase uric acid production, and alcohol contributes to dehydration. Beer is associated with an increased risk of gout and recurring attacks, as are distilled liquors to some extent. The effect of wine is not as well-understood. If you drink alcohol, talk to your doctor about what is appropriate for you.

Vitamin C. Vitamin C may help lower uric acid levels. Talk to your doctor about whether a 500-milligram vitamin C supplement fits into your diet and medication plan.

Coffee. Some research suggests that moderate coffee consumption may be associated with a reduced risk of gout, particularly with regular caffeinated coffee. Drinking coffee may not be appropriate for other medical conditions. Talk to your doctor about how much coffee is right for you.

Cherries. There is some evidence that eating cherries is associated with a reduced risk of gout attacks.

A sample menu

Here's a look at what you might eat during a typical day on a gout diet:

Breakfast

Whole-grain, unsweetened cereal with skim or low-fat milk

1 cup fresh strawberries

Coffee

Water

Lunch

Roasted chicken breast slices (2 ounces) on a whole-grain roll with mustard

Mixed green salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing

Skim or low-fat milk

Water

Afternoon snack

1 cup fresh cherries

Water

Dinner

Roasted salmon (3-4 ounces)

Roasted or steamed green beans

1/2 cup whole-grain pasta with olive oil and lemon pepper

Water

Low-fat yogurt

1 cup fresh melon

Caffeine-free beverage, such as herbal tea

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrit...