Help me identify a Southern California flower?

I don't have any pictures of it, so here's an ms paint image drawn from memory. Some characteristics:

-1-2 mm thick stem. Very thin and long. The longest one I've seen was about 8 inches long.

- No fuzz. Also not stiff.

- Flowers are the size of your thumb and droop downwards. They're bell shaped, but more like a little trumpets instead of ballroom dresses.

-I think at most one or two flowers can grow on a single stem.

- Don't know if they can stand direct sun or not, but the ones that grew at home were mostly in lightly shaded areas (but sun still reached them for a few hours.)

-Very soft and smooth to the touch

Please help! It's driving me nuts!

Edit: They're not Daffodils, sadly. They only have one layer of petals They do kinda look like that, though (minus the outer, sunflower-looking petals.They also don't have joints in their stems ; completely smooth through and through.

Favorite Answer

Hard to identify without a photo or more info. Are they yellow as in your drawing? If they are in a garden, they could be almost anything. If they grow wild, that narrows the field a little, pardon the pun. You can google for "California wildflowers" and find lists, with photos. What time of year do they bloom? Leaves, and if so, where are they on the plant? or just a stem, no leaves apparent? Short, thin stem, drooping flowers and not many per stem, growing in shade......I'm guessing they are some kind of lily. Try googling "lilies California" as I just did and found a couple of candidates. Diogenes Lantern lily, and the fritillaria pudicans which is in the lily family.

• Subject4A3 years agoReport

Turns out they're Bermuda Sorrels! Thank you so much for the help + pointers on how to look for it! Although they weren't lilies, I'm very grateful about how much effort you put into your answer despite the fact I provided little to no useful information. Thank you!

• frank

yellow fritillaria

• Dale-E

California Poppies?

• notned

Daffodil

Not particularly southern California-ish but they look like daffodils.